Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fulcrumb

Sick rooster

fulcrumb
13 years ago

Hello all,

Some time ago I noticed that my rooster seemed to be reluctant to jump up on the roost because he kept pacing around under it, apparently looking for a spot which was closest to the ground so he didn't have to jump as high. After a 10-day leave, I've come back to find that now he won't get up on the roost at all and settles in to sleep in the straw below.

Now, about a month and a half or so ago he had a fight with our other roosters and lost, but unfortunately the other roosters starting acting vicious towards people so we had to get rid of them. I think it's possible that my current roo got hurt in the fight, but then again it's also possible that he lost the fight because he was sick beforehand. I've looked him over and can't seem to find any obvious wounds and there doesn't seem to be any foul smell or anything to suggest an infected injury. He's 2 years old so I doubt it's the age getting to him. Should I put him someplace warm so he can recuperate? Take him to the vet? Put him out of his misery if he's done for??

Thanks for any advice!

Comments (2)