Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
countrygrl82

Goat Horns freaking me out!

countrygrl82
15 years ago

I have a 1 year old female goat that is the sweetest little thing. When i got her she had not been de-horned and was about to get sold for meat. I wanted to save her and am so glad I did. So heres my delima. I have a two year old daughter that loves to play with the goats. She goes up and down the slide with them and has a blast however, I am a complete mess worrying that she is going to get a horn in the eye or something. Does anyone have ideas about what I can do. Do they make caps??? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments (13)

• ahbee01
    15 years ago

I never heard of caps! If she would leave them on, you could try and make your own out of a fun noodle(used in the swimming pool, to float on!) I think you could use pipe insulation also.
    Which is not as thick as the fun noodles!!! Just cut them a little higher then the horns, they would be padded!!!
    If you get that to work, you need to post a pic, it would be funny!
    Brenda

• countrygrl82
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Brenda that is a good idea atleast I could put that on her when we go out to play. I will definitely put up some pics that would be super funny!

• beegood_gw
    15 years ago

To me that's an accident waiting to happen No matter how well you pad them a poke in the eye still can do damage.Wouldn't take much if they fell going down a slide together. Scary thought.But then that's just me.I've been wrong before.

• crankyoldman
    15 years ago

I remember reading in a book on raising goats about someone glueing old door knobs on the ends of his goats' horns so they weren't so likely to jab themselves or get them stuck in fences.

• lucky_p
    15 years ago

No horns on a goat playing with a 2-year old child, for me. It's a potential disaster in the offing.

The goats know what those horns are and what they're for, and regardless of how 'sweet' you may think your goat is, they can do some major damage to a child or another goat with just one jab. You either need to trade in this goat for one that was disbudded, or have her dehorned by a veterinarian - but be forewarned, it's not a pretty sight; dehorning an adult goat opens up some huge holes in the top of their head that take months to heal and close.

• cpp6318
    15 years ago

Yep, no matter how you look at it, a horny old goat is just an accident waiting to happen.

• skagit_goat_man_
    15 years ago

Horned goats aren't a problem but a 2 yr old playing with one isn't the greatest thing. As cute as they are they aren't pets. Don't take it out on the goat, give you daughter close supervision when she's with the goat. We've had all horned goats for 10 years up to 30 including a buck. Then we got involved with dairy goats and those folks pee in their shorts when they see a horned goat. We're converting our herd to horned and the heck with AGDA shows. Tom

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

I think the idea of the fun noodle is a good one, it will not hurt the goat! I do agree even with protection, your daughter will have to be supervised, but that goes without saying I am sure.

When I was looking for goats I came across a lot of people who had goats with horns and they tell me that their kids were around them a lot with no incidents. I was skittish of the idea and I ultimately got goats without horns. I did notice that my goats are careful around my grandkids. with each other they can get pretty aggressive but I have not seen any aggression around my grands... so far

I did a search on the internet and I found a video of how a kid got accidently hit with a horn. if it had a noodle on it would not have been serious/ i could not find any articles where a goat gored a kid though.

Here is a link that might be useful: goat hits kid in face with horn

• earthygoat
    15 years ago

I`ve had horned goats for many years and have never been hurt by my animals. If a goat (mainly does) is well taken care of and respects you, I don`t think it would ever hurt you on purpose. Having said that, accidents can happen, but please don`t be paranoid about it. Always supervise and teach your daughter how to handle the goat properly, so that the goat knows it isn`t the boss. Very similar to teaching children how to behave around family dogs. Unfamiliar goats are another story.

• jchaille_gmail_com
    13 years ago

i saw something on a blog about peaple whos goats horns where getting stuck in the fence, so the cut up a washing machine hose and put it across the goats horns and now they have no problems, and it sounds like that might work your your situation.

• oregonwoodsmoke
    13 years ago

Yes, you can buy horn caps for goats, They are round metal balls, and their actual use is as a weight to shape the horn into the desired shape.

I don't know how much safety a round metal ball on the end of the horn would provide, and then what are you going to do with the nasty little sharp goat feet? A pointed goat toe could injure a child's eye just as easily as a horn could. Getting struck with the hoof is a very real possibility.

Goats are not intended to be play toys for young children. I suggest that you move the goat out into the pasture with the farm animals and get the child an ADULT Labrador Retriever that is large enough so the child can't easily injure it.

• Dennis Ha
    7 years ago

Hi there. So I've done a lot of homework myself worrying of the same issue could happen as well. So I came to a decision of removing it.

I would say all animals/livestock should be able to play with anyone without worrying.

I found numerous sites to remove the horns by banding it. Elastraband, castraband.

Its a little tool you can purchase from your local supply store along with the bands. Very simple to use.

After the band is on the horn, it'll clot up the blood flow to the horns, and eventually fall off on it's own.

The goats will not feel anything. This method is usually used to neutering a Buck as well.

So I hope this helps.