Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vieja_gw

how to 'potty train' this 7 lb. Miniature Pinscher....?

vieja_gw
13 years ago

I couldn't find a proper forum for my posting so chose this one... sorry!Is there a more apt one?

We have a 4 yr. old small female Miniature Pinscher that comes indoors & goes right to the carpet to 'pee'! She has had two litters & her offspring are potty trained but this mom comes right indoors & goes to where ever she has gone on the carpet before- despite every spray concoction I have seen advertized & cleaned the carpet with. She knows better as when I catch her sniffing a spot she slinks away til I catch her & toss her outdoors. She knows what I mean when I ask her if she went 'poo-poo?'- she cringes & slinks away so she is not dumb but SO darn stubborn!!! Please anyone... any ideas other than give her away or keep her outdoors forever? Or get some 'doggie diapers' when she comes indoors?!!

Comments (3)

• calliope
    13 years ago

Have you tried the pet forum on the home site side of the GW? It's got a lot of people with experience on these issues. Good luck with your problem.

• oregonwoodsmoke
    13 years ago

You dog isn't stubborn. You are a lousy dog trainer. Put the blame where it belongs.

House training is a habit. Nothing more, nothing less. Your dog has the habit of peeing on the carpet. You must teach her a new habit.

Get a crate for the dog and she is put in the crate when she is in the house. As long as you don't lock her up for an unreasonable amount of time, she won't soil her crate.

Take her out frequently. Stand there and watch her. Praise her when she relieves herself outdoors. Let her play for awhile, then back inside and into the crate.

Until she is 100% reliable, never allow her to be loose in the house unless there are eagle eyes on her every second. That means you do not take your eyes off of her. If you can't watch her, place her back in the crate.

Do not punish for house accidents. All you are teaching the dog is to hide from you. If she starts to sniff, take her outside. Wait and watch her so you can praise her when she potties outside.

Food treats for doing her duty outside work well in teaching it is what you want her to do.

You have to prevent her from relieving herself inside. You have to teach her that relieving herself outside pleases you. That is two distinct and separate lessons. If you are diligent, it will take about 2 weeks to have the correct habit firmly established.

Although it might take you longer because you have punished your dog for relieving herself, so it will take her longer to tinkle outside when you are watching, for fear that you will punish her.

Do not leave her locked up in the crate longer than she can hold it. If you force her to soil her crate, you teach her to relieve herself inside the crate and then you really have a house breaking problem (of your own creation)

• softmentor
    13 years ago

I guess I don't have the patience for this sort of thing. I grab the dog, hold it's nose in the pee, and shout and yell "NO" loudly so as to scare it. Then immediately take it outside where it is supposed to pee. First time the dog does it again, same treatment again. second time, (which there probably will not be) also a small swat. not enough to hurt it, just scare it.
    I have never had a dog continue more than once doing this. It stops it fast.
    p.s. clean up the pee by using LOTS of towels. blot up as much as you can, wet it with a lot of water, and blot that up and repeat about 3 times.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz