Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rabbit and chickens together???

Posted by allaroundgoatgirl (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 24, 08 at 20:03

A friend of mine wants to give her rabbit away and thought I might want it. I would love to take it, but I have nowhere to let it live happily outdoors unless its in the yard with my 12 chickens.

Would this be okay or would there be problems with fighting, feed, etc?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rabbit and chickens together???

I have a flemish mix female that lives outside with my hens and 2 goats,,and she's the happiest rabbit I've ever seen. She has a dug hole she lives in under the goats house for safety that she built herself. They don't ever fight,,sometimes the hens will attempt chasing her but they can never get to her cause she's too fast! I would recommend that yours has some type of shelter and protection given the chance that she needs it from weather or other predators. Or she can live in the chicken coop ... as long as she's not vulnerable at night. I've had rabbits taken from owls at night,,they MUST be protected.
I also recomend feeding her a medicated rabbit feed that prevents rabbits from contracting coccidia illness from the chicken poop. They sell it in feed stores,and actually it's not medicated,it has an additive of some microorgansm to prevent getting the illness. It's made for farmers who house their rabbits and poultry in the same building.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here