Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdlady76

runner duck babies

birdlady76
15 years ago

Hi all, I am new here I just joined. I have a question about my runner duck mother. I am new at raising ducks and also have chooks. My duck is a first time mum and she hatched six baby ducks. She sat well and seemed very protective so we left her to look after her babies. First I found one dead duckling in the chook yard, and didnt know what happened to it, so I just tried to keep an eye on her, then the next day I found another dead baby and once this happened I thought maybee the chooks are pecking them to death so my partner and I made another pen just for her near our house so we could keep an eye on her. I noticed while she was in there that she was occasionally standing on her babies and not realising, then later that day I found another dad baby. So I dont know why they are dying, I'm not sure if it is the mother and she is just stepping on them and they are dying and I am wondering if I should just let her out and keep the babies seperate so that I dont loose any of the last three that are left. She is protective though and doesnt like anyone near her babies but I'm just worried that maybee if I dont take them off her that i wont have any left soon. Can someone help me with this quickly!!! Thankyou

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia