Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Driving t-posts and keeping them plumb

Posted by stevez06 z6 W-KY (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 29, 10 at 20:12

Any tips on driving a plumb t-post without a helper? Even with a manual t-post driver and using a level, mine come out um...less than vertical.

Thanks!

--Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Driving t-posts and keeping them plumb

How tall are your posts before driving them in? Being 5'7", and driving my 6 1/2ft posts, I have to stand up on something. If I am not up with the post top, it always goes in crooked because I am pulling it.

Not sure how many posts you have, but sometimes using a sledge hammer or a newer driver can help. My friend just got a spring-loaded post driver, and says it is MUCH easier to use than just a weighted driver. Haven't tried her driver yet, so have no opinion yet.

In extremely hard ground, I have found using the sledge hammer to be easier. My hands just can't take the slamming down of the driver handles. Again, I need to be higher up, to make this work. So I stand on the truck tailgate or my plastic, 2-step stool to gain the needed height to drive in the posts.

o

If the ground is hard, mark out where your posts will go. Scrape a small hollow in the dirt, and fill that hollow with water a couple of times a day for a few days.

A little water will soften that dirt right up.

The quality of T-posts keeps going down, and the poorly made ones are difficult to get pounded in straight.

It helps a lot to get up above the post.

o

for a driver, I use an iron pipe. a 2 1/2 inch well stringers pipe works great. Weld a top on it and 2 handles on either side. Lift the pipe and drop it. Much easier to control. Be sure it's long enough so that you don't over lift it and have it come down and mash your finger between the handle and the post.

o

Thanks to all! I hadn't thought of getting above the top of the post to drive them. I'll give that a try.
--Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here