Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
more_to_grow

Case 311B tractor

more_to_grow
17 years ago

Hello

I posted a couple of months ago regarding tractors and got a lot of good suggestions.

We finally closed on our new property, 19 acres, at the end of a 3/4 mile dirt drive, up on a knoll, surrounded largely by state forest. The person we purchased the property from is offering me a 1958 Case 311B tractor for sale. With it he is including a three point hitch mounted auger, and a hydraulic sicle bar. The sicle bar is belly mount, with automatic raising and lowering of the bar as well as automatic raising and lowering of the entire unit to adjust for height of cut.

He states that he purchased the machine from someone who kept it garaged it's entire life for $4500 six years ago. since then it has been kept outside, has rusted quite a bit and seen fairly tough use. He has added a heavy duty front end and a heavy duty loader. He states that he replace the clutch a couple years ago and went thru the engine at that time. It starts right up and runs strong. The power steering pump is shot thus it is a real bear to steer. He thinks he has a Subaru pump that will work for the steering and that a case pump is $500 and fairly easilly obtained. The brakes are strong and it seems like a very sound machine all things considered.

He is asking $5000 for the tractor, auger, and sicle bar; he gave me a brush hog, 4 feet, a couple weeks ago so I will have this too. This seems a tad bit high to me given its appearance and the fact that the power steering is out. I have seen ads online for completely restored, pristine 311b's for $3750, but they were in the midwest so its hard to know.

What do you think? What research should i conduct, questions should i ask, things should I look for?

I will be brush hogging my three acre field, maintaining my road with sand/gravel from my pit, digging fence posts, and who knows what else.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

paxton

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County