Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Eradicate Goat Weed, When and With What?

Posted by ann_tx8 z8/East Texas (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 31, 12 at 20:36

Goat Weed has taken over our horse pasture. It's horrible. I don't know if this stuff is an annual or perennial, or how it spreads. Am wondering if it is too late to spray it now (Sept. 1) to be time- and cost- effective? We sometimes get a light frost in October. Am wondering if it dies off for the season when it frosts. Usually don't get a freeze 'til mid-December, though our weather has been erratic to the extreme the past few years here in Zone 8a/7b East Texas.

If it is advised to go ahead now and spray, can horses stay in the pasture, and if not, when can they go back in? Also, what herbicides are recommended?

Also, when is best time to spray for this stuff? Is early spring recommended or should we wait for it to show itself?

Sincere thanks for any help.

Ann

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Eradicate Goat Weed, When and With What?

Contact your county's Extension Service office to obtain info that's appropriate & safe for pastures with livestock.

Locate your office with this link
http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/

Here is a link that might be useful: locate your county's Extension Service office

o
RE: Eradicate Goat Weed, When and With What?

It will die back in the winter and come back in the spring. I don't run horses in my pasture but I have cattle. I have the same problem as you had. It was about 4 feet tall when I bought my property. This spring I plan on spraying the pasture with Grazon and fertilize it at the same time. It should keep the goat week under control. Also if it is mowed regulary it will keep it from getting established.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here