Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindakimy

Rice for chickens???

lindakimy
16 years ago

Dh and I were annoyed (but not too surprised) to find that our supply of uncooked rice had been invaded by bugs. Well, it's been in the cupboard for quite a while now. There were tiny, tiny bugs crawling around - not the usual moths. Anyhow...

Dh got the idea that he would feed the rice to our chickens. Is that o.k.? He said, "Well, it's grain. They eat grain." Is there any reason not to feed the rice to the chickens?

Comments (12)

• Maggie_J
    16 years ago

I Googled "rice chickens" and got only recipes! LOL. So then I tried Googling "hens feeding rice" and did a little better. Rice is fed to hens in many third world countries, so I can't think that it would hurt yours. They'd probably like it better cooked, but you could try them on the whole grain and see.

You might want to wait for a couple more replies before doing anything... or try some searches yourself to turn up information. I had one of those little doubts at the back of my mind... but it may have been simply that rice is not as nutritious as other grains.

• Dibbit
    16 years ago

I do remember that it was strongly recommended to stop throwing rice at weddings, so now birdseed is thrown - something about rice expanding when wet and bursting crops or choking them? I don't know if this is true or an urban legend. If in doubt, either soaking the rice overnight, or cooking it - bugs and all - would remove the problem - it would then be expanded.

To protect future rice supplies - and if you have the room - storing it in the freezer in a reclosable plastic bag virtually eliminates bugs.

• velvet_sparrow
    16 years ago

The thing about uncooked rice thrown at weddings making birds explode is a myth. :) I'm sure it came about because the event site finds that the rice is messy, hard to clean up and a slipping hazzard. And wild birds don't eat uncooked rice, they prefer softer, easier to eat food. So the rice just sits there.

While chickens have tougher innards and can eat just about anything, I think they'd peck at uncooked rice a bit and wander away, disappointed. They'd prefer something tastier. Lordy, so would I.

My chickens DO love COOKED rice, though! Boil it up and add a bollion cube or a bit of chicken stock and it'll make a great meal, boiled bugs and all. :)

Velvet ~:>

• Maggie_J
    16 years ago

That was the doubt at the back of my mind... the urban myth thing about it swelling up. All the same, cooking it would likely make it more popular with the birds.

• waldmann
    16 years ago

My chickens LOVE rice, provided it's cooked. Maybe the shape, color and texture reminds them of the tasty maggots. I use it as a snack, feeding it modestly, whenever I have leftovers I would not eat myself. OK you got me - I never have leftovers - I cook more so I can give some to my chickens :)

• paulns
    16 years ago

Our chickens love cooked rice as well - some leftover brown basmati at the moment. Their beaks covered with it makes an amusing sight. I had my doubts too though so I'm glad you started this thread.

• lindakimy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the input, everybody. I bet you are right about cooking it. Our girls are not at all picky, though. They are growing so fast right now that they jump on anything they find to eat.

Now that I think about it...I bet my dogs would go for a side of rice with their suppers! We seldom feed scraps - begging is NEVER tolerated around our table. Since we got the chickens, I'm having to train myself to share bits I would normally take to the compost pile.

• luke1397_msn_com
    13 years ago

I live in China presently and visted a farm here and the farmer only fed her chickens uncooked rice. ke1397

• Jonathan
    13 years ago

I once went to a restaurant in the Caribbean where there was a wild flock of chickens living in the woods nearby. For years, the staff has been providing bored children (waiting for their food to arrive) with little cups of uncooked rice to throw off the porch. The chickens all scrambled for it. They looked perfectly healthy, and none seem to have exploded.

--Jonathan

• ga_karen
    13 years ago

Having worked at a church years ago...the thing with rice was having to clean it up! It's just that the wild birds wouldn't eat it so it had to swept up while throwing bird seed gets taken care of without the sweeping!
    Just a safety, labor issue NOTHING about birds swelling up! ((eye roll))

• SARAHFARRAR_ROCKETMAIL_COM
    12 years ago

Been giving my little flock uncooked Basmati rice and they gobble it up rather quickly. They also love sunflower seeds and they absolutely FIGHT over tomatoes!

• Walter Callahan
    4 years ago

There's no trouble with uncooked rice. It's false information that got its start in a 1996 Ann Landers column.

The rumor is that uncooked rice hits the bird’s tummy and then swells causing its stomach to explode. It’s simply not true. It’s not hot enough in a bird’s stomach to actually “cook” the rice. So, the rice doesn’t swell and cause any sort of an explosion.

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts