Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Feather picking

Posted by oberhasli1 Colorado (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 4, 08 at 23:26

I have 4 australorps that are about 5 months old. I ordered them from our feed store. I usually have good luck, but I am pretty sure instead of 4 hens, I have 2 hens and 2 roosters. Bummer. But, one of the roosters likes to sidle up to the other Australorps and pull feathers and then eats them. He only does this while they are in their large outdoor enclosure. Is this a dietary problem or just a nervous habit? They get Purina Layena pellets and scratch every day. I already have a rooster, so I will eventually have to get rid of the new boys, but in the meantime, I was wondering if the rooster in question needs more protein? I have read that giving them dry cat chow is a good way to increase their protein. Any thoughts? Anyone need a nice looking Australorp rooster?

Bonnie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Feather picking

Hi Bonnie,
there are a number of theories concerning feather picking, one like you mentioned is a lack of protein (which you can remedy by adding extra to their diet). Another is boredom, you can try various techniques to keep them busy like hanging cabbages etc. In my opinion the quicker you deal w/the problem the better. Once a habit has started it can be difficult to break it. You could try separating the offender for a couple of days. Or you can order rooster booster's "pick-no-more" lotion, it works well, you put it on the bird being pecked and it pretty much takes care of that bird. I've had this problem in the past usually in the winter months when the birds are bored and confined more. I always add extra protein during these months (via gamebird feed), but to be honest this never fixed the problem. The only relief I found for my birds was the lotion mentioned above.

Hope this helps.

Sheila

Here is a link that might be useful: Rooster Booster

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here