Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengalrn

My chicken update, new views and tasty eggs!

gardengalrn
14 years ago

Well, I've only had chickens for a few years and wouldn't be without them now. I would never eat a store-bought egg again! I added to my flock this spring and have suffered some losses here and there. I have always said that I would never free-range my birds due to the chance of tragedy but low and behold...I am now free-ranging in the late afternoon when I am here to keep an eye on things. I keep them penned in the morning so they will lay their eggs where they are supposed to but they look forward to me letting them out in the afternoon. My eggs have never been so delicious and the yolks so orange. Eating the bugs and grass really has agreed with them. They still get all my kitchen scraps and love them.

I don't suppose I will be so willing to let them out as the weather turns and predators get more courageous and hungry. I guess I have decided it is worth the risk right now, to have such happy hens and wonderful eggs. Does that sound awful? I'm getting about 18-24 eggs daily and even the smaller pullet eggs are wonderful, unlike last year. Lori

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz