Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My chicken update, new views and tasty eggs!

Posted by gardengalrn 5KS (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 15, 09 at 23:29

Well, I've only had chickens for a few years and wouldn't be without them now. I would never eat a store-bought egg again! I added to my flock this spring and have suffered some losses here and there. I have always said that I would never free-range my birds due to the chance of tragedy but low and behold...I am now free-ranging in the late afternoon when I am here to keep an eye on things. I keep them penned in the morning so they will lay their eggs where they are supposed to but they look forward to me letting them out in the afternoon. My eggs have never been so delicious and the yolks so orange. Eating the bugs and grass really has agreed with them. They still get all my kitchen scraps and love them.

I don't suppose I will be so willing to let them out as the weather turns and predators get more courageous and hungry. I guess I have decided it is worth the risk right now, to have such happy hens and wonderful eggs. Does that sound awful? I'm getting about 18-24 eggs daily and even the smaller pullet eggs are wonderful, unlike last year. Lori

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My chicken update, new views and tasty eggs!

I let my girls out every afternoon while I garden. It does make a difference in the taste, doesn't it?

o
RE: My chicken update, new views and tasty eggs!

I let my flock out every afternoon too. If I let them out in the morning, they are too lazy to walk all the way back to the coop, and I'll find eggs in my big plant pots on the patio(G).

Hens are amazing hunters! I always laugh when they zigzag trying to capture butterflies, and cringe when they catch lizards, small snakes and frogs. If they can swallow it, they do! The only things mine don't like are sweets, such as donuts or cake leftover from work. They get lots of healthy leftovers, and we always get a "chicken bag" when we eat out. They come running when they see my van(G).

The eggs are superb! Grocery store ones look so anaemic and runny. Yuck!

Lisa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here