Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roxthefox_gw

I rescued a duck and not sure what to do next.

RoxtheFox
9 years ago

Hi. I'm new here, and really hope someone can offer me some advice.

My sister and her partner bought 3 ducks from a local market. They intended to raise them and eat them. However, it was a stupid rash decision. They didn't make a cage before purchasing or do anything to prepare.

Within 5 days, two ducks unfortunately passed away. It was pure negligence. I threw a fit and took the remaining duck from their care to avoid him having a miserable demise.

I organised for a family friend to take him, and it fell through. I organised someone else to take him, and that fell through.

I've had Whistle for nearly a week (its been a long week!!). I got him a cage with a lid that clamps shut, and he has been sleeping inside, in a hat, in his cage, with towels under and over, in a heated room. I'm not sure how old he is. My sisters partner basically threw a tantrum that I took the duck and will barely talk to me (and I don't even think they really know). But, Whistle lived outside in the elements for nearly a week, so he's a tough little guy.

I rang the vet when I first got him and asked what to feed. They said an egg yolk, shortbread or sweet biscuit crumbs and milk. Whistle loved it. But that's not a great diet for a growing duck. I researched a bit online and started giving him fruit as well. He loves strawberries and cucumbers.

But, that's also not a perfect diet for a growing duck. I eventually found someone who sells chicken starter. I give him that, as well as the fruit. The guy at the shop really shamed me about having Whistle because 'I didnt know what I was doing'. I had to tell him that I am TRYING to learn and doing my absolute best. I'm trying to find him a home. I refuse to give him to a shelter when I can find him a decent home. I don't need to stretch resources when I can foster him for now.

The guy at the feed store told me my vet was an idiot, the internet was wrong, and that all the duck needs is his chicken starter (its not medicated). I'm basically getting conflicting views from everyone, so I thought I'd come here and see if anyone can help.

-Does anyone have an indication of what type of duck Whistle might be, and how old?
-Do I need to be doing anything else for his diet? He always has fresh water, I change it multiple times a day. I feed him the chicken starter in water, too.
-He is a little gem when it comes to poop and tries his utmost hardest not to go on me. I make sure to cuddle with him, especially at night. He settles better after a cuddle. No question, just proud of my little guy (girl? How do you know?!)
- Do I need to get him a friend? I know ducks love company, and he is getting to the point where he sounds like a car alarm if he can't see me. It's terrible. I can't even go to the other side of the room without him having a meltdown. Can I do anything else to keep him happy?
- Because of the above, have I ruined this duck? Will he be able to integrate into duck society? Yes, I really did just ask that.
- Do ducks need to live with other ducks or would he be ok with just chickens?

Sadly, I really can't keep Whistle. I have 3 dogs already. One is scared of him, one is interested but doesn't really care, and the other (pictured) is a complete and utter psychopath. She has a 'thing' for ducks. She will sit near him, snuggle with him, pretend to love him, and then when she thinks you aren't watching she will try to stick his head or leg in her mouth. She used to sit in a room and stare lovingly at me, and now she stares at Whistle. She growls at anyone (aside from me) who tries to go near him, including the other dogs. When he starts quacking, I think she will go crazy, because she has a high prey drive and loves ducks. It's not going to be comfortable for Rox or Whistle.

I am also about to house a 4th dog for a couple of weeks while his parents are on holiday.

The feed guy also told me I was a terrible person for letting Whistle play in the yard (in a secure cage, supervised) because it was 'too cold'. I only take him out so he can sit in the sun, he likes it, and I don't think it's fair to only let him run around on plastic or hardwood floors. Doesn't he need to play in the sun, fresh air, and grass?

I really am in a bother about this duck. I absolutely love him, but I know I can't really give him the life he deserves.

Any advice on what I can do to help him grow would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (3)

• VickiWard
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi RoxtheFox. I think you're doing great with little whistle. Don't let the others get you down! I gernerally trust feed store owners for advice more than vets. Vets don't like it that the feed stores carry almost as many medications as the vets do, so I think the see them as a nasty little competitor. I alwas take my questions to my local feed store. Just doesn't sound like yours has a very good cage side manner! But I like the diet he gave you much better than the idiot vet. LOL one thing you might get him is a small kiddy wading pool. Ducks love to swim! But ducks are perfectly happy outside, and can stand quite cold temperatures. So unless you live at the nort or south pole, a good outing every day will make him a very happy duck!

Now you have to remember that ducks bond very easily with ANYTHING. If you can't be with him 24/7 I would definitely get him a playmate or two. Maybe one of the opposite gender, and then raise a family of them if you have the space.

As for the kind he is, I don't know. His colors will become more vibrant if he is a HE, and stay drabber if he is a she. Also, female ducks are the ones that really make a good quacking sound. Males (adult) sound like the can barely get out a whisper, and always sound as if they have a frog in their throats. Also when they are filly grown, a male will have a curly feather on top of his tail where the tail joins on to the butt.

As for the dogs, dogs love to play and chew things. They may or may not intentionally try to hurt him, but may get too rough in play and hurt him accidently. Id make sure he has a safe place to be when you're not there to keep a watchful eye on them.

Mostly, please remember that emotional bond is ver strong between a duck and his MOMM, or between mates. I had a pair once, and the female unexpectedly died. The male wouldn't eat, drink, sleep or anything. Within a week he grieved himself to death. There are many birds that are like this

I say you're wonderful for rescuing him, and it sounds like you're doing a GREAT job of caring for him. Just give him a lot of love, and you'll have a great little friend. And the dogs can learn that he's part of the family and may actually protect him. But keep a close eye on that at first.

Good Luck!

• rfactor
    9 years ago

That looks to me like a week old Orpington duckling. First week of life,optimal temperature range 90-95 degrees then decrease 5 degrees each week till fully feathered. Chicken feed is fine for them as long as it not medicated.

• eastTXmeg
    9 years ago

We raised baby ducks this summer....they started on game bird starter feed...we kept a light (heat source) shining on the pen while they were still as little as your guy...they tell you when and how to regulate the lamp by simply moving under the lamp when they need the heat and sleeping outside the heat source circle when they outgrow that temp...so basically they tell you how to handle the heat source, we would just move the light farther away as they grew and moved away from the heat...I would not put your baby in a kiddie pool yet because he still doesn't have feathers and the babies can only swim (not drown) when they are with their mom because she rubs the oil on them for them...baby ducks can and will drown! Ducks are very social, and while it's neat for them to imprint on you, they are really their best "duck" when they are with other ducks and not domesticated IMO. Just keep your eyes on him, they are essentially defenseless!

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm