Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RIP Fletcher

Posted by laturcotte1 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 10, 09 at 8:51

Our beloved rooster Fletcher is gone! We think he was taken by a fox, one minute he was there eating breakfast by afternoon he was gone. He had come such a long way; through his frost bite feet and tendon injury to a very happy guy. He followed me like a puppy dog inspecting everything I did, loving every minute he spent with his goats. My husband said I should not have let him free range but that was when he was the happiest. He would pace along the fence line just waiting to run hating to be penned in.

He crowed all day long, what a wonderful sound.

It's sad he never got to enjoy his first winter with his new hens. We are going to keep the hens penned until we can control the fox situation they won't like it but maybe we can keep them safe that way. I am sure his disability kept him from avoiding the attack, I feel like I let him down.

It's a very sad time, my heart is broken.

Lee Ann

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RIP Fletcher

I'm so sorry for your loss, Lee Ann. It's really hard isn't it, to take the risks of predators in order to let your birds free range?! They are so much happier, and in my opinion, healthier when they are allowed to forage for the stuff they instinctively look for. Just remember that Fletcher had a much happier and fulfilling life than many chickens experience. I hope you can get rid of the fox that is keeping your hens from enjoying that same freedom. Kathy

o

Oh, Lee Ann, I am so sorry. I remember Fletcher's story and how you took care of him. He was lucky to have a happy summer with you, enjoying the grass and bugs and sunshine. Remember that you made that possible -- remember the happy times.

My condolences.

--Johanna

Here is a link that might be useful: My place: Busy Solitude Farm

o

Lee Ann, I'm so sorry to hear about Fletcher.

Ramona

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here