Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Loss of My Last Chicken

Posted by tuscanseed (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 12, 08 at 9:43

Hi All,
I usually don't post in this forum but I thought you would understand my sadness. My senior Golden Sebright hen was attacked the other night while she slept in her pen, and she was killed. I am just heartbroken over losing her, as she was such a personality for our family, even the dog. She followed me around in the garden, took dirt baths at every opportunity, ran with the dog out back, and slept by the window with the cat. As most of you know, chickens 'talk' with different sounds and I loved hearing her contentness as she often fell asleep in my arms. Chic-Chic was 8 years old and the last member of my flock from years ago. To many people, she as a lowly chicken, but to me she was an unexpected friend. I guess the lesson here is that sometimes the smallest things in life can bring the greatest joys.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Loss of My Last Chicken

She was beautiful, tuscanseed! Sounds like quite the little character, too. I'm sorry you had to lose her the way you did. I know you'll miss her every day. What a little Chicken Ambassador, buddies with the dog and cat, too. That's one special bird.

o

I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend,,very sad when these things happen. I understand the heartbreak..your post made me choked up,what a lovely hen.

o

Awwww, I am sorry for your loss. I am sure you will miss the little beauty. I too understand your heartbreak.

What predator got her?

o

I'm so sorry for the loss of you chic-chic. She indeed was a beautiful bird!!!. I know we can get very attached to our pets, and losing them is hard no matter what they are. My heart goes out to you. May you find comfort in the fact that you had her for 8 years and she had a good life. Bless you.

o

I am sure you would never trade the sorrow you feel right now for the joy that little bird gave you. Will you consider having another or two?

o

Tuscanseed--

So sorry for your loss of Chic Chic. She was beautiful. You were fortunate to have her for eight years, that's a good chicken life.

--Johanna

o

I'm so sorry for your loss. Our original flock is dwindleing and each one that passes is painful.With the special ones it is even harder.
Rusty

o

She is a beautiful chicken and social too. I am sorry she is no longer with you. Most people don't realize what wonderful friends birds can be. So sorry.

o

So sorry for your loss, she was very beautiful and I certainly understand the feelings of loss that you have.

I'm not sure where you are located but I have several chickens that would be happy to comfort you :)

Remember the good times w/her,
Take care,
Sheila

o

What a sweet little chicken. You gave her a very good life. I undertand how you miss her. I am so sorry for your loss.

Dianne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here