Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetgreen_gw

sick peachick?

sweetgreen
15 years ago

I'm hatching out peafowl chicks for my mother who is on vacation. So this is a first for me. I've hatched chickens and guineas for year, but never peas. Anyway, the one that hatched just two days ago is worrying me. It had a bad spraddle leg till I changed the papertowel out for nubby shelf liner stuff - the leg was 100% better after that. The poor thing hadn't been able to get up on its feet and move around prior to that.

Well, now that it's up, twice I've seen it poo and it was the weirdest I've ever seen come out of a bird. It was a clear fluid - almost like water, and at least a tablespoon or more of it at a time. The little chick made a sound the second time I saw it happen and it acted like it was painful. This little chick sleeps almost all the time. I know it's only two days old, but the poo thing worries me.

In addition to whatever may be wrong inside this baby, one of its eyes is shut all the time. I don't know if that has just happened, or I never noticed until now (as it sleeps all the time). The eye isn't gunky.

Any ideas? or know of a place on the web that is more peafowl related? Thanks.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz