Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sick peachick?

Posted by sweetgreen z5 MI (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 8, 08 at 13:07

I'm hatching out peafowl chicks for my mother who is on vacation. So this is a first for me. I've hatched chickens and guineas for year, but never peas. Anyway, the one that hatched just two days ago is worrying me. It had a bad spraddle leg till I changed the papertowel out for nubby shelf liner stuff - the leg was 100% better after that. The poor thing hadn't been able to get up on its feet and move around prior to that.

Well, now that it's up, twice I've seen it poo and it was the weirdest I've ever seen come out of a bird. It was a clear fluid - almost like water, and at least a tablespoon or more of it at a time. The little chick made a sound the second time I saw it happen and it acted like it was painful. This little chick sleeps almost all the time. I know it's only two days old, but the poo thing worries me.

In addition to whatever may be wrong inside this baby, one of its eyes is shut all the time. I don't know if that has just happened, or I never noticed until now (as it sleeps all the time). The eye isn't gunky.

Any ideas? or know of a place on the web that is more peafowl related? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sick peachick?

I found a website that might be of help, if you go to the very bottom there are a bunch of links. Hope it helps and the little one recovers, if he/she is sick.

http://www.boxess.com/pbaby.htm

o
RE: sick peachick?

The United Peafowl Association's site is here:

http://www.peafowl.org/

Good for you for taking steps to give it's new little legs the traction it needed!

Keep the baby warm & quiet, and make sure it's eating and drinking normally, meanwhile ask the folks at the UPA if they can help more. If it develops more symptoms, please update here, maybe we can help more.

Velvet ~:>

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here