Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How many chickens?

Posted by dirtgirldiana1 OH (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 12, 08 at 14:41

Hi Everyone,
First off you all seem like the nicest group of people.
Anyway...
My husband is in the process of building an 8'X 8' chickencoop. I will be ordering day old chicks come spring. How many hens will be comfortable in my chickencoop?
I don't want to overcrowd them.
They will have a huge outside run.

I've wanted chickens for a while now and I'm so excited my husband has finally built(and still is) the coop.

Diana

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How many chickens?

congrats on the new coming hens! You must be thrilled...It's so exciting getting hens...I would get 10-12 for the size you're going to have. Also if it's the first time,you don't want to get too many and become overwhelmed. You can always add more as time goes on :)
Good luck!

o

Yes, although with a large run, you could probably double that number, you'll be busy cleaning the litter all the time if you do....... and it would be a handful until you get used to their idiosyncrasies. Brooding them out takes a bit more effort, and a dozen is easy for a beginner.

Congratulations, I've had my flock for about twelve or fourteen years now and have enjoyed every minute of it, not to mention wonderful, fresh eggs and sunrise serenades by some great roos.

o

You don't want to over-crowd them and all the books say you need anywhere from 2 to 10 square feet per chicken. I find that 4 square feet of floor space per chicken is fine. So with an 8'X 8' coop, you could theoretically have up to 16 chickens if you go by the 4 sq. ft per bird.

o

Better to have too much room than too many hens. The large run will stay in good growing condition with fewer birds. This also means less health problems. Outside flights that are overcrowded tend to not have anything growing and become nasty when it rains and are of no use except exercise. Ask yourself-how many eggs will you need per day. 2/3 of your flock will lay per day on average. During spring and early summer you'll probably get close to 100%-but when light levels fall so does egg production. There are many ways to do this and the only one that will work is your's. Good luck and happy chick'en!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here