Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
duck question!!

Posted by beeliz 2 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 17, 08 at 15:42

Hi...I have 2 ducks,,as pets..which I used to have in the same area with my hens and 2 mini goats. However,the hens have completely attacked and continue to bully the ducks. one of them is a little smaller so I was worried they would get a serious injury so I separated them. The question is..will they be safe living in my fenced yard free range? They've been like that for 2 weeks now,they have their own pool and a dog house which I lock them up in every night for safety.but will they be ok if they stay in this set up,,or should I introduce them back into the hens area in a couple weeks? I love them,and they do seem really content roaming my yard and eating bugs ect!! they're so cute to have around.BUT...is it safe? Does anyone else let their ducks free range on the yard?? thanks...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: duck question!!

I let mine free range during the day. At night they go into a coop. Does the dog house have a solid floor, if not it will be quite easy for predators to dig in.

o
RE: duck question!!

yup...the house is completely closed in..actually it's a dog crate made of heavy duty plastic with a steel door that locks. I have a wood slanted roof over it and it's sheltered from wind and rain. so it's a good solid safe house for nights.I also built an outdoor shelter right beside it where I put the food for them so it stays dry in case of rain..works great...as long as they stay safe.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here