Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Duck Water in Winter

Posted by johanna_h Z5 SW MI (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 10, 09 at 16:33

I am looking for ideas for keeping water available for the ducks into the winter. My white pair absolutely love going into the kiddie pool, but once things start freezing that's not going to be very workable. Are there workarounds out there?

Thanks.

Johanna

Here is a link that might be useful: My place: Busy Solitude Farm

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Duck Water in Winter

I have two geese that love their pool but come winter, we live up north, it gets closed down. I use a heated water bucket inside their house and let me tell you it is struggle everyday. They love to dip their heads way down in the bucket and pull the water up and all over themselves. When I go in they will have droplets of ice on them and the shaving around the bucket will be frozen solid. The ice even forms on the top and handle of the bucket! Every couple days I have to take a shovel and scrape the ice out! The buckets need to get filled every night and sometimes in the mornings.

I have never figured out how to solve the ice problem just keep a nice dry bed for them to groom and dry off in when their done!

On very special days when the temperature gets above freezing I have a small tub that I bring outside and I fill it with water. It's small so they have to take turns in it but I carry about 4-5 buckets of water from the house and fill the tub and they go crazy.

The most wonderful thing is when the weather warms around March and I can take the pool out for the season fill it and watch them take their first bath. They really hate to be dirty.

Last year I bought a very large black rubber feed dish and put the bucket in that, it caught most of the water and cut the ice down quite a bit.

Good luck
Lee Ann

o
RE: Duck Water in Winter

Thanks, Lee Ann! Sounds like my setup is similar to yours. Off to find a heated bowl for those silly quackers...

--Johanna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here