Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seramas

It Takes A Community To Plant ATree

seramas
14 years ago

While planting some trees to provide shade in the chicken park all these helpers show up to help.

Enjoy

Part 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e17WK1ExUq0&feature=channel

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting a Shade Tree

Comments (10)

• nhsuzanne
    14 years ago

That is so cute I could watch it all day. I can definitely tell you are NOT digging in NH!! What beautiful digging you have. Love the hens.

• seramas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Suz,
    When we moved here 5 years ago there was clay everywhere. After adding tons of Canadain Peat and sand (not to forget tons of chicken poo) now have rich well drained soil.

I don't dare let the Seramas and Phenix out at the same time with the ISA Browns. They tend to roost on me like pigeons on a park statue. ItÂs hard to work that way!

• nhsuzanne
    14 years ago

Well I was wondering where the Seramas were! I would love to see some video of them too!

• seramas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The following link is some Seramas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seramas

• seramas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here is a link to the second part.

Here is a link that might be useful: part 2

• nhsuzanne
    14 years ago

Thanks for the Seramas...now I want more, more, more!!!

Also, can you please tell me the story of Mr.Q? I must have missed something here but I love the video of him singing.

• nhsuzanne
    14 years ago

Thanks for the Seramas...now I want more, more, more!!!

Also, can you please tell me the story of Mr.Q? I must have missed something here but I love the video of him singing.

• seramas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

SUZ,

A couple years ago a neighbor brought very young chicks to me. They bought a large number of them without knowing how to properly care for them. They were dropping like flies in a rain storm. Anyway, all said and done a handful survived to adulthood and most decided to live in the wild only to be seen occasionally. Mr. and Mrs. Q decided to stay in the greenhouse over the winter. This spring they again began to explore living outside with a little nudging from me. Mr. Q developed a territory of several females (to include Mrs. Q) and would make his daily rounds. He would get onto the highest structure in the different hen's territories and sing to them. Mrs. Q's territory was the garden that runs along the driveway and the front yard. So, Mr. Q took to getting on the porches rail to sing to Mrs. Q. To most it looked like he was singing to the cement dove on the rail--when he was really singing to Mrs. Q (his best squeeze).

• nhsuzanne
    14 years ago

What kind of chicken are they? They look like large quails to me and I thought perhaps that was why Mr/Mrs "Q" He is really handsome whatever he is. I would love to investigate that breed. It's all so cute!

• seramas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

They are a hybrid Jumbo Northern Bobwhite Quail. They are slightly larger that the regular Northern Bobwhite Quail. They require 28% protein game bird starter. I do not use the medicated feeds because I use probiotics added to their starter along with Boron and Colloidal minerals/vitamins.

2 tablets of Chelated Boron 3mg (total 6mg)(Boron Citrate, Boron Amino Acid Chelate and Boron Aspartate) Crushed Then dissolved in 8oz hot water (140F to 180F)

3 Tablespoons Liquid Colloidal Minerals/vitamins

1 cup yogurt with probiotics (like activia)

1 gallon room temperature DISTILLED water

Mix all above ingredients together making sure the boron is fully dissolved before add to blend.

Use above mixture at a 1 to 1 ratio (1 cup liquid to 1 cup starter) with the 28% game starter to make a mash. Only make enough that will be used that day. You can refrigerate the Fortified Water; it will remain stable for 30 days.

Try to buy your quail chicks from a local breeder (ask your local feed mill/store for a name/number). Because of their size at hatching they do not ship well and become chilled easily. They require temperature 5 degrees warmer than chicks the same age.

The above mixture is great for newly hatched chicks of any sort. It protects them from internal poultry diseases-which kill most chicks. It hydrates them quickly and gives them friendly bacteria to speeds their ability to digest foods properly making them stronger naturally and prevents pasty butts. In meat birds I add 100mg of Liquid Ubiquinone Co Q 10 enzyme to the above mixture to promote good cardiovascular growth.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?