Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Broody with unhatched eggs

Posted by johanna_h Z5 SW MI (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 20, 07 at 18:30

My buff orpington hen hatched one chick on Monday. She has continued to sit on seven other eggs since then. How long should I let her stay on that nest before I give up on the other eggs?

Thanks for your thoughts!

--Johanna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Broody with unhatched eggs

Chicken eggs are supposed to hatch after 21 days of incubation. I always give my eggs 23 days, that way it gives any stragglers a chance to hatch out.

Congrats on the chick! :)

Velvet ~:>

o

Careful of those unhatched eggs. They're likely to be little sulfur bombs waiting to explode. It's time to boot the hen and chick off the nest so that the chick can eat and drink. By now it has used up the yolk and needs some nourishment. Have fun! They're a lot of fun to watch.

o

Unfortunately I did not date the eggs under the hen, so I don't know how old the unhatched ones are. I'll know better next time!

The hen and chick are both eating fine -- the hen has made the effort to show the chick "oh, look, here's something really really good" and wait for the chick to show that it knows to eat. And they have their own water in their crate, too. So I'm not really concerned about nourishment.

The other hens seem fascinated by the "peep peeping" -- they even hesitated to go outside this morning when I opened their yard door! (But then they decided to go outside anyway!) I'm hoping that having the hen and chick behind the crate door for a while will make them safer when I let them out into the general population.

Thanks for the help!

--Johanna

o

The mother hen will protect her chick from the others and will usually chase them away before they get too close to it. They bear watching for a little while though to make sure. Cheryl

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here