Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leasing Farming/Livestock Raising Land Lots

Posted by scarletdaisies 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 13, 09 at 18:48

I got some cool ebooks on gardening and livestock raising. I have a backyard to plant in, but in the city limits of this country small town, no chickens or animals are allowed to be kept.

I want to lease a small lot of whatever size needed to either make a little money and/or give meat produce. Any ideas on how much to lease?

Maybe small animals like chickens, pigs, sheep,turkeys, but I don't think a cow. I live near lots of farm territory. Does anyone know of prices of leased property and the rules that go with it?

I am very interested in small farming for myself, profit, and for experience in raising and processing meat. I would have liked to take up hunting, but I see it is very expensive unless you own land.

I think it's disappointing of all the hunting fees and regulations. They are going to cause lime disease by over population because no one will hunt due to licenses, fees,permits, and just annoyances created by bureaucrats.

If anyone has heard of leasing land instead of buying, please let me know. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leasing Farming/Livestock Raising Land Lots

I think the security of your animals will be a big problem if you lease land. Not being there 24 hrs a day will tempt thieves. Leasing land to hunt on might be another way to have meat. Regardless of license fees etc, In my state (TN)hunted meat is still cheaper than raised meat, unless of course you stink at hunting :)

o

I guess that would work. I'll look into it and yes there would be thieves. You can count them in on any endeavor. No police to call, but hunting motion sensor cameras can be of some assistance. Of no assistance for a pack of wolves or coyotes.

Thanks for the reply. I'll check into it locally and see if there is any success on raising stock without being there 24 hours.

It's cattle country here and they are allowed to roam in fences with hundreds and hundreds of acres. It would be just as easy to thieve from your backyard and miss being able to protect your animals in most of those situations.

o

It's harder to rustle if the cows are roaming "hundreds" of acres. If they (or any other animals) are kept in smaller lots or pastures, at least have several locked gates, don't make it easy for the thieves. Make sure they can't get close with a vehicle.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here