Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
my new baby duckies

Posted by sozavac california (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 9, 10 at 21:11

so i just got 2 ducks from the feed store, they are starting to get feathers on their tail, mixed in with the fluff. ive been reading up on caring for and raising ducks but i still have a few questions..

1) when can i let them swim?
2) when will they start warming up to humans because mine are really sketchey around people
3) when or can i let them swim around in my pool?
4) is concrete bad for their feet?

Please help, i am trying to raise these cuties the best i can!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: my new baby duckies

This is my biggest complaint about farm stores.How hard would it be to make copies of instructions to go home with new duck owners>
Anyway If you cover the cement with lots of paper then straw it is ok,I only did it temporarily but they must have water and I needed to change water and bedding three times a day with as many ducks as I had. Heat lamp a must. Most people will say No swimming for at least 3 weeks unless they have a momma duck to share her oil with them.
READ READ READ about them. they are fragile lil critters
swap 020

May Storm 2009 014

they should be able to go under heat lamp or get away from it,the baby pen was made with 4 old closet doors
Up to our neck 089

have fun!!!!
Tanya

o

If you want them to be friendly, then you have to put in the effort now to convince them that you are their friend. It won't happen naturally -- you need to handle them, feed them delicious things by hand, spend time with them so that they understand that you mean good things.

I love having ducks! I expect you will, too!

--Johanna

Here is a link that might be useful: Scroll down on this page and you'll see my Wacky Quackers!

o

You probably aren't going to turn them into lap pets, but if you toss something good to eat around your feet a couple of times a day and call them, with whatever call you intend to use for the rest of their life, they will soon be rushing to you whenever you call them.

That will make them a lot easier to pen up at night.

You are talking about a swimming pool? You do know that they poop as they swim along? They poop a lot and their poop is nasty stinky stuff.

I wouldn't let them swim until they have their feathers. Ducks don't actually need to swim, so it won't hurt them to wait.

You need to get them the type of waterer that they can't get anything into, except their bill. Otherwise their drinking water will be filthy all the time and that is not good for their health.

o

"You need to get them the type of waterer that they can't get anything into, except their bill. Otherwise their drinking water will be filthy all the time and that is not good for their health."

I would edit the above to say except their head. They need to be able to rinse out their eyes and nostrils.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here