Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barefoot_gal_gw

plastic feed sacks

Barefoot_gal
18 years ago

what are some ideas to do with the ever growing collection of feed sacks? Last winter I used them to keep cold air out from our baby goats, I took a staple gum and lined a barn stall. What are some other ideals people have used them for?

Comments (13)

• Patriz
    18 years ago

I use them as weed barriers on walking paths. I put a few inches of mulch over top of them. I also use them to temporarily ball & burlap young trees and bushes that I'm trading or giving away. My feed mill buys them back, too.

• Barefoot_gal
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you for the suggestions, our feed mill says government regulations won't let them reuse the sacks. I tried to give them back!!!!!!!

• Siamese
    18 years ago

They won't even fill them up for your own use? I used to take mine back to get cracked corn so I didnt have to pay a bag fee. I use mine for trash bags & for recycling bags. I also put them down under the litter boxes and cages.

• Maggie_J
    18 years ago

Those feed bags are great for garbage bags etc. I am wary, however, of using them around my critters. They tend to shred after a while and I worry that the silly chickens and geese will eat the shreds. The geese, especially, have to taste and nibble EVERYTHING -- worse than toddlers.

• jdwill100
    16 years ago

Any new ideas on this subject?

• buckeye_brian
    16 years ago

We no longer buy the custom mixed feed. We order the feed (our formula) from the feed store and he puts it in paper bags like normal Purina or Kent type packaging. But when I dealt with a different feed store they requiered us to bring the plastic or burlap feed bags back! If I didn't they charged me for it. This feed store is in northern KY. I was never aware of any govt regulation not allowing to reuse them! Maybe that is a state thing...?

• backlanelady
    16 years ago

I don't get the plastic feed sacks as often as I used to. Wish I did because they came in handy.
    I have 2 large wooden feed storage boxes. I use the bags on the ground underneath the boxes for a vapor barrier. It keeps the box dry. I use them inside on the bottom for easy clean up the bags catch the spilled grain and I can lift it out and shake it off for the chickens.
    I slip the bags over the boards of the work benches in the barn. The top boards aren't attached, so I slide the boards inside of the bags and put then back on the benches. Keeps the tops nice and clean, and again, a quick clean up.
    If the bags are cut, instead of pulling the string, they will shred and chickens can get that stuff wrapped around their legs. If hubby gets to the bag with a knife, before I can get the string pulled, I discard it because of the shredding. Maggie is right about the shredded ones being a hazard.

• doninalaska
    16 years ago

We take ours to a local farmer (where we buy barley and oats for the goats)for recyling. We don't get credit, but the gratitude of the farmer for cutting his overhead is enough. He says the semi-paper bags (paper and plastic blend) work even better in the cold in his "sewing machine" that closes the tops of the bags. I had been burning those or using the as mulch on the pathways; I will be saving them now.

• suzannesks
    16 years ago

Another option is growing veggies in them,like tomatoes and peppers,cukes.Stand them up fill with 1/2 soil and 1/2 rotted manure.In the cooler climates they really grow nicely. :) Suzanne

• Barefoot_gal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I read in our local WRECC magazine, where a guy planted potatoes in them, and just laid the bag flat down on the ground. The picture showed potato vines coming out holes in the top of bag, also said to cut side to remove potatoes. The picture showed quiet a few taters laying beside the cut bag!! I don't know about it. Seems like the plastic bag would not let any water in and if it did looks like the sun and heat would cause them to rot.
    I'm still using them to insulate the barn with during winter!!
    barefoot_gal

• yakimadn
    16 years ago

Fill them with manure and advertise it for free (deposit on the sack). If you get a bunch, bundle them and put them on ebay (one man's junk is another man's treasure).I stuff them full of all the loose hay and straw that is unavoidable in day to day feeding.

Dave

• backlanelady
    16 years ago

I like the idea of using them with plants. I can see how that would work good to get an early start on outdoor planting. The bags should keep the soil warm and moist.

• yoyobon_gw
    10 years ago

There are great tote bag instructions on line for these feed bag recycling.
    I also like the idea of making a chef apron......
    Checkbook covers?
    Tablecloth for a picnic table
    Bib, coverall for toddlers
    Funky vest
    Poncho

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource