Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zensojourner

Trumpet vine + chickens = ???

Pyewacket
9 years ago

Yes, its a horror. Neighbor has one planted on our shared back fence line and I am constantly having to remove its shoots.

So what I'm wondering is - will chickens eat trumpet vine shoots? Because I swear to high heaven I am about to the point where I am willing to rip up the plastic and rocks (previous owner) that the TV is popping up through like it's a nice friendly layer of fluffy compost, put chickens back in that corner, and pray they'll clean up the $*#$&!!!*$*#* trumpet vine shoots!

Comments (6)

• savannarose
    9 years ago

Sure, if you confine the chickens in that one area they'll destroy anything.But once you move them it will come back. Maybe you can accidentally spill some Roundup back there...

• Pyewacket
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sadly Roundup doesn't touch the stuff. It would probably just make it mad and send it on a wild spree of vengeance. You have to use a 2,4-D type or some other stuff (I forget the name offhand, but you can find it in a posting on Dave's Garden on the page for Trumpet Vine) that is super harsh. And probably won't work ultimately, either.

Sadly I can't even spill anything "by accident" as I made the mistake of calling the local extension agency for help and advice, and discovered I had just identified myself to a so-called "horticulturist" who thinks the stuff isn't invasive, has planted it in her suburban yard herself, and informed me that it is illegal for me to poison starts in my yard 60' from the mother plant as it will likely kill the mother plant as well.

Which is EXACTLY the outcome I would prefer.

*Sad*

• User
    9 years ago

yes! they love trumpet vine!! someone gave us a start and my chickens totally stripped the leaves. we live in a climate where trumpet vine cant get quite as hardy... i've never experienced this kind of hostility toward it! lol. i can understand tho! its pretty detetmined here too.

• Derby42 zone 6
    9 years ago

I had one growing on the front of the house. I cut it down for years but it always came back. It is right next to my goldfish pond so I didn't want to use poisen on it. I mixed up a quart of boiling water, viniger, and salt and poured it on the plant. It did not come back all summer. I hope it is gone for good.

• mersiepoo
    9 years ago

Oh God, don't use roundup or 2,4 D! That stuff is super toxic. Just read The World According to Monsanto to get a birds eye view. It's close to agent orange in chemical composition. And you don't want to mess with agent orange or purple. If you can get a pig and confine it there it'll root up everything. Instead of roundup, try pouring rock salt (if you don't want anything to grow there for a loooooong time) there. At least salt isn't as toxic as Roundup.

• Pyewacket
    Original Author
    8 years ago

In the case of trumpet vine - I DON'T CARE. If it will kill it, that's one less invasive pernicious plant to deal with.

Seriously - a pig? I live in town. They will (barely) tolerate a few chickens, but not a pig.

I would even use Agent Orange on this stuff, if I could get it. Which I obviously can't, so that's a bit of hyperbole. But I would at least consider itl.

Rock salt will not kill trumpet vine, unless you razed and salted everything for a half mile around - and maybe not then. Roundup isn't toxic enough to kill it. I would use it happily if it were.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction