Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
torontoontario

Opening the 25 kg. feed bag

torontoontario
15 years ago

I think I've got it, but sometimes it doesn't work.

Does anyone know the secret to unzipping the feed bag?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (9)

• mxbarbie
    15 years ago

well, first you have to get it at the right end... then there are 2 threads (one for each side of the bag)One thread makes continuous loops (chain stitch) the other is just stitches in a straight line. Hold the one that is stitches in a straight line, then find the end of the chain stitched one and pull. It helps to cut off the excess thread before you start, and if it doesn't 'zip' try from the other end of the string. Usually if there is a tag or a lable sewn in with it, start at the side furthest from the lable as they put the lable in at the beginning of the seam and you want to unravel from the end of the seam.

I hope this made sense to you. I was a seamstress for many years and most clothing is made with this same stitiching (much smaller stitches of course!) saved a lot of time ripping out stitches. When you do it enough times you start to recognise which way the stitches go and you will be able to tell which end to start unravelling from.

Good luck!

• torontoontario
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks! I think this may improve my clothes mending technique too :).

The one thing I'm wondering about is which stitch to clip at the beginning. Sometimes I cut the the hanging excess thread where it connects to the bag, but sometimes I have to cut an extra stitch or 2 from the chain-stitched side. Then I unzip from the straight-stitch side. It helps to know that the label is usually stitched on at the beginning - now I'll always remember that.

Here is a link that might be useful: Toronto Chickens' Website

• Dibbit
    15 years ago

Another way to tell where to start pulling - which doesn't ALWAYS work - is to face the side with the single string toward you, and start on the right.

• seramas
    15 years ago

Sometimes there is an extra strip of paper sewn on the face side of the bag (side with company name and such). With this side toward you, start on the right side and pull on the added paper strip. If this or any other suggested method doesn't work you can always be successful by attacking it with a sharp machete. (LOL)

Have fun!

• beegood_gw
    15 years ago

I could swear they change the opening end with each bag. Just when I think I got it figured out it's not what I thought it was. I now just keep scissors on hand. Plus a lot of the time both ends are so knotted nothing (but scissors )works to open it.When it's -35 and you are fumbling for the right end it gets very frustrating.

• seramas
    15 years ago

LOL...These things are what makes life worth living!

• velvet_sparrow
    15 years ago

SCISSORS. Teeth. Or any other sharp object. I hate those stupid 'zip' threads, mine never work.

Our feed company just started putting a blue, heavy-duty plastic pull strip at one end of the bag, works the first time, every time!

Velvet ~:>

• beegood_gw
    15 years ago

Three cheers for your feed company. I sure hope others EVERYWHERE will follow.!!

• earthygoat
    15 years ago

Our local farm supply started using bags that have a small arrow that points and reads "Start at this end". No more guessing. Genius!!!

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville