Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What insects do guinea fowl eat?

Posted by docmom z5 MI (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 24, 05 at 8:34

I'm considering getting guineas, but my husband is resistant. I want to know how well they would help with insect control. We have a problem with ladybugs, stink bugs and wasps around the house in the fall. Would they eat these? Thank-you for any info.
Martha

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What insects do guinea fowl eat?

I don't know about those bugs but mine eat everything from spiders to beetles. They will kill and eat just about anything that crawls including lizards, small snakes and the occasional small toad. I just wish they would eat Love Bugs, but nope.. We have hordes of them.. On the down side they can be noisy but do make good guard dogs letting you know if any thing strange is around.. There are some great sites on the internet. Just type in the search word Guineas and take your pick.
Kit

o
RE: What insects do guinea fowl eat?

Yes, they do eat tons of bugs. I got mine for control of the ticks, japanese beetles and grasshoppers. Unfortunately, mine have not even tried to eat the lady bugs. I think someone told me once that no bird eats those nasty asian lady bugs, another reason they proliferate so well. They certainly will eat wasps - the problem is getting to them. I've never seen a guinea fly up to eat a bug, they do most of their hunting on the ground. I have heard stories of guineas parking in front of bee hives though, and catching them as they came out. I can't offer anything on the stink bugs, I guess I'm not familiar with that bug, so I don't know if mine have eaten them or not. My guineas also love it when I'm stacking wood, they come for all the carpenter ants that I shake out.

Here is a link that might be useful: here's one of the guinea sites with a great message board

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here