Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can chickens eat...

Posted by itsmesarah (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 15, 08 at 8:49

Im getting chickens today (exciting!)
But I was wondering if they could eat the canna and elephant ears im about to cut down for the year.
Anyone know?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can chickens eat...

Chickens eat anything and EVERYTHING.

BOTH THE PLANTS YOU LISTED ARE TOXIC TO BIRDS! Don't let the chickens eat them. Here is a list of toxic and safe plants & household chemicals:

http://www.plannedparrothood.com/plants.html

Enjoy your chickens! :)

Velvet ~:>

o

Thanks!

o

Wow that is quite a list of toxic plants for birds!
Several of them I knew were toxic but many of them were quite a surprise to me. I have a hard time beliving that parsley and pigweed are toxic to chickens. Pigweed being a cousin (wild) to amaranth and I give my chickens parsley at least once a week.

I have fed my chickens bleeding heart, bracken fern (lots), coriander (cilantro), ground cherry (I think just the berries though, not the leaves), parsley (lots) and pigweed and they are all still alive. That is not to say it is a good idea to feed them these things only that, mine have not been ill and are very much alive and well.

When I was a kid, my parents had friends who used to feed thier parrot marijuanna seeds with peanut butter... The bird is still alive and well...

Very interesting.

o

Well, the list I linked to is for parrots (it's by planned parrothood), but a bird is a bird in most cases, so to play it safe with stuff like that I'd prefer to err on the side of caution. :)

Some of the things I've seen my chickens eat is horrifying...! *L*

o

I breed hook-bills for many years-was one of the first to breed Hyacinth Macaws in captivity in 1970. Many of the plants on the poison list are not toxic to parrots. Parrots will eat many 'toxic' plants and in the wild they will seek out areas that have certain types of clay that they will eat and it detoxifies them. Most modern parrot pelleted foods have this clay added to it. They get certain nutrients from those 'toxic' plants that are absolutely necessary for proper brain function. In captivity it is very common for hook-bills to feather pluck due to the lack of these nutrients.

There is a sub-specie of Love Bird with a long narrow hooked bill that they use to dig most of foods that they eat. They can't live for more than a few months in captivity because of their extremely specialized diet. They are from the same area in Africa that Pygmies Humans live.

But to answer your question--IF YOU DON'T KNOW BEYOND ANY DOUBT THAT A PLANT IS SAFE FOR THEM TO EAT--THEN DON'T FEED IT TO THEM. Better to keep them safe than dead.

o

Yes seramas--but we're talking about chickens in this instance and not hookbills, and I doubt if chicken feed has the same mineral supplement added to it as parrot food pellets might. So yeah, better to be safe than sorry. :) I remember seeing a documentary on Scarlett Macaws all going to a certain cliff in huge flocks and eating the clay there, for similar reasons. It was amazing to see all of those lovely birds.

Oooh, Hyacinth Macaws! They've been on my 'Love It!' list for a long time. :)

o

the clay is called bentonite FYI.

o

Ya, that's it. Thanks

o

phibert/hazelnut leaves?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here