Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dog flea control on pygmy goats??

Posted by beeliz (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 10, 07 at 9:03

Can I use dog flea control on my pygmy goats? I use the drops you put between the shoulder blades. Anyone done this before?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dog flea control on pygmy goats??

I would advice against it, there are products for goats. Goats don't get fleas and using something that was not tested on that animal very often will make it sick.

o

Sorry, new here- but.....
no, no, no, no, no.

I have raised goats for 5 years and have NEVER seen a flea on a goat. Something isn't right with that. AND I live in a sandy area and the fleas are terrible on my dogs. If you want goat help I would be happy to help- but do not ever put anything on a goat not tested on goats.
Barb

o

ok...thanks guys! I used something I got at the co-op anyways yesturday..dri-kill for lice.Just cause I had a breakout of mites with my chickens and everyone had to be treated...including the goats. So they gave me that for them...U dusted it on their backs and under them,then their bedding. hope it works. any other advice would be greatly appreciated!! thanks again...

o

we use cydectin for lice. we never had any fleas on the goats, but we put in the middle of thier backs...
1 cc for kids, and 4 cc for adults. has been working for us for years now.

o

I disagree I have baby goats & they have fleas. I gave them a flea bath but going to follow up with something else. I think any animal is able to get fleas

o

This is an old thread.

We've never had fleas either but they get lice every February-ish.

Folks, VERY few medications are labeled for use on goats, most are used off label, simply because the $$ has not been put into the research for what most feel is an indispensible animal. It doesn't mean it's not safe, it just means it hasn't been tested so they cannot list it. I would not hesitate to use a product with an active ingredient I know is safely used on other species.

My only reservation is, this rule does not apply to exotics, siamese cats come to mind, they have skin/metablosm that is different than your average everyday cat.

We use Permethrin for lice poured down the spine. Ivermectin orally for worms, injected for lice.

Look at the active ingredients, that is your clue.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here