Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you Apsilutly Not Put Chickens & Turkeys Together???

Posted by bulldinkie pa (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 3, 10 at 10:02

I got a visitor on my farm,A turkey, Dont know much about them but I think he was someones pet,Hes friendly,I was told you cant put them together.I dont have a rooster.Its getting to be hunting season here wanted to save the turkey.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you Apsilutly Not Put Chickens & Turkeys Together???

Cant spell this morning I see.Not the heading was long couldnt see it till it showed up on screen I meant absolutly.Sorry

o

The only problem I could see is histoplasmosis. Chickens are more resistant to morbidity from this organism than turkeys, who are quite susceptible. If there is any histo in your chicken flock (and subacute levels could be present where the chickens are asymptomatic) then it puts your turkey at risk.

o

As calliope said , there are diseases that are specific to both but not necessarily affecting the carrier....with that said, I DO have turkeys free range with my chickens and my oldest Narrangansette Tom decided early in life that his purpose was to live with the chickens in their coop where he forbids rooster fights and protects all females as any gentleman should do.....he is very verbal and as lovable as a puppy.... I would not dream of asking him to move, lol....

o

How long was he in with the chicks lol,I really have no where else to put him ,I have no rooster,hes happy.

o

I have kept turkey chicks in with my chickens, and have kept geese in there too until mature. Never had a problem either. Just saying that was the rationale.

o

A few years back they were cutting the field across the road from me for hay. They accidently ran the haymower over a mama turkey sitting on her eggs. It killed the turkey, but a neighbor had a hen that was wanting to sit on eggs, so they took the eggs and gave her something to sit on. Two of the eggs hatched and were raised with the chickens. Even being raised from hatchlings they went wild anytime someone went in the coop to feed them. And either the turkeys were eating them or the chickens stopped laying eggs until the turkeys were gone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here