Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
weed identification

Posted by growernut 4/5 NEBR (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 17, 08 at 10:19

i'm trying to figure out what weed i have in my hay ground. dont have any pic's so will describe as best i can. the "seed" of this weed is inside a thin walled shell and the seed is one big round seed. it's hard to describe what the outside looks like, kinda like an old lamp post light almost. does that make sense??
thanks for any help.
Gary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: weed identification

Could it be millet...? Is there one seed her stalk, or many? Any leaves? What does the inside of the big seed look like?

Velvet ~:>

o

On re-reading, it sounds like it could be something in the onion family.

Any smell to the plant?

Velvet ~:>

o

found it, i think it's a ground cherry. looks to be the closest thing i can find. thanks Velvet.

o

How about Japanese Lanterns? They have a paper type "flower" that is shaped like a lamp light on the streetlight. Seeds are inside. Folks collect the flowers on stems for dried flowers, arrangements in the fall.

Until this year, I had only seen the beige Lanterns, but this year I saw garden Lanterns, which are red. These were a wider, more rounded form of Lantern, in a planted garden. Pretty, but I understand Japanese Lanterns are very prolific, spread easily and hard to get out. I don't plant them, but have found them in uncut meadow fields with other weedy growth.

http://cgi.ebay.com/5-chinese-lantern-PLANTS-japanese-lanterns-LIVE-crafts_W0QQitemZ320310266422QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item320310266422&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Ebay has a photo of the lantern part at the bottom of this item number, in a red color.

o

Sure sounds like the ground cherry which we call a chinese lantern. It is a member of the tomato family and carries some toxic chemicals. In low quantities, it wouldn't hurt your livestock, but if you fed a steady diet of it, you could have problems.

Here it grows on the ditchbanks and is more an interesting curiousity. Doesn't seem to do well on ground that is tilled or where it gets cut off. If it gets thick on the ditch banks, a little 2,4-D will help control it, and Roundup will take it out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here