Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengalrn

Another pig feed question

gardengalrn
15 years ago

I was surprised to learn that all the local feed stores have feed for every critter known to mankind, farmlife and wildlife...but not pigs! We did find one place that carried "show feed," but I don't think it is a feasible option for longterm. One bag cost as much as one of the piglets! We did buy a couple bags to get the piglets started and mix it with milo. They seem happy and healthy and have visibly grown in just the week we've had them. The man we got them from feeds his pigs alfalfa bales. When DH inquired about this, a few people kinda laughed and said they had never heard of feeding pigs alfalfa bales. This guy's pigs looked big and healthy. He had 3 sows and LOTS of piglets so it didn't appear that the animals were stressed in any way. I've been giving fallen apples in moderation (in addition to their meals), which they don't seem too excited about. They really like that show feed, LOL. Any words of wisdom about what to feed these critters? These two bags are IT, not going to buy any more of that. Lori

Comments (4)