Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anyone know what might be wrong with my turkey

Posted by kudzu2 Florida (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 25, 09 at 10:59

I have just recently acquired 4 turkeys for our small farm. They are for pets only, but one seems to have a cold. It has a white matter in it's eyes that it keeps shaking it's head to sling off, but it just comes back later. It sounds like it has a stuffy nose. Then another one doesn't seem sick, but will walk around then sit down with it's feathers kind of ruffled and droops it's wings. But then later is up walking around and eating. Have no idea what could be wrong with them or what I should give them. Know nothing about turkeys. Could someone maybe help with my dilemma? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anyone know what might be wrong with my turkey

Is the eye discharge foamy?

Could be Infectious Coryza. I don't know offhand if that particular disease affects turkeys, but I'd suggest researching on the web respiratory diseases in turkeys and see what you can dig up. Different drugs treat different diseases, so be sure to get the correct drug and follow label instructions for dosing turkeys. If you suspect a contagious disease, I'd treat them all. Whether it's an illness or adjusting to a new home & people, it's stressful so give them unflavored Pedialyte to drink (at the grocery store in the baby aisle) to boost their electrolytes. Keeping them warm and quiet and out of drafts can also help them to get better. Extra goodies such as live mealworms or crickets will give them an extra protein boost and they LOVE them. Fresh greens and such are also good--anything that keeps them eating, occupied and happy--and for birds such as chickens and turkeys, eating = happy. :)

Velvet ~:>

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here