Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennybog_gw

Hard Chicken shells

jennybog
14 years ago

Hi ,

I have 2 hens that just started laying. There shells are very hard almost to hard to break. We arent even giving them oyster shells yet.Thanks

Comments (6)

• marlingardener
    14 years ago

Jenny,
    Our Australorps lay hard-shelled eggs, too. We don't supplement their diet with calcium, just give them layer feed. I think that if the hens are fed well, the egg shells are harder than the store-bought kind. If the shells remain hard, you won't have to give them any supplement like oyster shells.

• seramas
    14 years ago

There are four nutrients that control calcium levels and its use by the body in most living animals/birds.

Vitamin D and K tell the body to absorb calcium and maintain good calcium blood levels (to put it simply) and Boron and Magnesium tell the body what to do with it. Of the four, vitamin D and Boron are usually the ones needed.

Sometimes there is a lot of calcium in their drinking water if from a well/city system. Some save rain water for their birds; it is ph natural and for the most part pure.

Adding boron 6mgs per gallon in their drinking water (only source) 2-3 times a week will prevent buildup of calcium where it shouldn't be (dissolve in 8 oz of distilled hot water 140F to 180F after its fully dissolved, dilute to 1 gallon with distilled water). Too much calcium being pulled from the bloodstream to form a super hard/thick shell can shorten the production life of your hens.

If the shell is smooth and has no rough areas they are probably normal shells-you will notice a difference between store bought and home grown egg shell in a big way. Being hard to break doesnÂt necessarily mean too much calcium being used to make the shell. The above boron supplement will not hurt normal shell production in any bird. It will; in fact; lower the cholesterol levels in their eggs/meat making them healthier to eat.

• nhsuzanne
    14 years ago

Seramas, where would I buy Boron?

• seramas
    14 years ago

Cheapest and best quality is from Puritan's Pride Item #005820 3mg tablets-100 to a bottle--2 for $4.49 or 5 for $8.98. PuritanÂs Pride is cheaper than the cost of one bottle of the same quality anywhere else. It has a very long shelf life so don't be afraid to buy the 5 bottle offer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Boron

• lindakimy
    14 years ago

Our chickens had very hard shells for about the first year or two. People complained! They laughed but they griped. In the meantime the shells have become less hard. The eggs are still awesome - big dark yellow yolks and great taste. I just figured it was part of growing up for the girls.

• calliope
    14 years ago

I used to have an egg business, but just keep them for family now. My eggs were/are awesome. Big, fresh, rich, and hard-shelled. I have found customers will find something to fault. Be it the hard shells, or that fresh ones don't peel easily. I have even had them ask about the yolks standing up when they're cracked. I usually just counter with "you're not used to buying fresh, home raised eggs, are you?"

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks