Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laturcotte1

Any other disabled birds out there?

laturcotte1
14 years ago

A lady called 2 nights ago to ask if I would take a rooster that walked on his knees. Of course I said yes then I got thinking, knees, roosters don't have knees do they? When I saw him I realized they have elbows! We all laughed about that one. Or are they knees!! :)

It looks as though he may have broken his feet at one time. One is curled so maybe one is broken but he definately is unable to walk. The woman said the hens have started to attack him and without human protection he was unable to get to his food or water. Eventually he was unable to come out of the corner without them attacking him and she had no room to separate him.

Both legs are bright yellow and warm and if it wasn't for that one foot by looking at him you'd never know. A year ago she took him from someone who had a house fire and had to move so he's been crippled for 1 year we know of.

He came to us pretty dirty and tired and when the woman put him down in his new coop he must have sat at the water dish for 10 minutes drinking. He finished a handful of canned corn along with some scambled eggs then started in on the poultry feed.

He settled in for the night and was preening himself in the morning. Two days later he seems very alert and is clucking very loudly. She said in the year she had him he never clucked, the icing on the cake would be if he crowed.

We have to make some adjustments to his entrance way, the ramp is too steep and he won't beable to go outside by himself.

Does anyone out there have a bird with the same disabililty? His wings seem to be very small also not sure if that is from balancing himself or what.

We've named him Walter.

Lee Ann

Comments (9)

• msmitoagain
    14 years ago

I waited to respond, because I wanted someone with a disabled bird to answer you 1st. But since no one has, I wanted to tell you that I hope Walter is going to be okay.

It's very kind of you to take in a disabled creature and give them extra and special care.

Ramona

Here is a link that might be useful: MY BLOG

• gardengalrn
    14 years ago

Yes, that was really kind of you to take Walter in. A lot of people would have put him in the stew pot, honestly. How is he doing? Sounds like your care is really paying off and Walter is thriving. Lori

• laturcotte1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Walter seems to be ok. The cold weather is already taking a toll on him to a point he doesn't get up and eat. We're making an incubating box where he can stay warm or step out to cool and making the coop smaller. Big enough for sleep taking a few steps for food/water and a little more. The temperatures were below 30 degrees last night so snug and cozy is important.

While observing him we don't think he sees very well either. My husband says "when is enough enough" but obviously Walter is not ready or he would have given up long ago, right? It's time comsuming for us but when he sees you he's sooo happy he puffs up and clucks really loud it makes you smile and thats worth it all.

I guess we just have to keep him warm and moving that's the hard part. I go in and clean and he shuffles around then back to bed he goes.

It is easier for him to eat off the floor, he bumps into the dishes and can't manevuer close enough but mealworms are a challenge! I put mealworms on the floor but by the time he gets halfway to them their scampering away, I have to round them up. He has just begun to take the food out of a dish if I hold it in front of him. Oh the challenges of the disabled.

Thanks for listening.
    Lee Ann

• annzgw
    14 years ago

I've never had a disabled chicken but I've raised and taken care of parrots that had to walk on their elbows....some had no feet.

For flooring you need to offer some type of padding since hard surfaces can cause irritation and infection in the elbows. Check his elbows often for inflammation since those can become so painful he won't want to walk anywhere.
    Rubber mats like the ones seen in dog kennels, or childrens play areas, can be used or you can use the decorative foam mats often seen in front of kitchen sinks.
    If he could fly up to flat perches, I say to wrap those also with either vet wrap or some type of padding, but it sounds as tho he can't fly.

For more warmth in his enclosure you can use heating pads (some water resistant ones are available) hung on the side of his sleeping area or either underneath it. You could also install a heat panel.

I'm assuming you have lots of straw in the coop to help with warmth?

• laturcotte1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We've made his "coop" much smaller than before for warmth purposes. One half of his floor has rugs with rubber backing this holds his food dishes. This area has a overhead lamp. The other half has shavings covered with hay. He has two boxes to sleep in with an overhead red heating lamp. I can safely get away with the lamps because he can't fly and knock them over.

The "walk" to his dishes and back just tire him out, he does use his wings for balance and turning. I was hoping for a nice day so I could bring him outside for some rays but those days look like their gone.

His grain is always full in a heavy very low dish like the water dish. He positions himself between the two to take some grain and a sip of water, it's funny, he's pretty smart. Then we put food on one of the rugs for him such as corn, scrambled eggs, seeds. I do give him mealworms but those have to go into a dish because by the time he gets to them they've all crawled away. He can't reach inside a dish with sides unless you hold it to his face and tip it. I do make him walk a short distance because I think it does more harm than good to have him sit in one spot all the time, and he does seem to enjoy going back n forth.

He is a great bird and is glad for any helping hands he gets. Seems to be healthy no sores, poop is good, eyes are bright. Would love to hear him crow!
    Thanks for all your help.
    Lee Ann

• laturcotte1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Walter is happy, happy, happy. Gets around just fine. Doesn't go out BUT crows to beat the band. The woman we got him from said she had him for 1 year and he never made a sound. Well 4 days ago he started to crow!!

• annzgw
    14 years ago

Congrats!! Just shows you're doing a great job! Sounds like he's responding to a healthy diet and comfortable surroundings.

• dreamgarden
    14 years ago

"We've made his "coop" much smaller than before for warmth purposes. One half of his floor has rugs with rubber backing this holds his food dishes. This area has a overhead lamp. The other half has shavings covered with hay. He has two boxes to sleep in with an overhead red heating lamp. I can safely get away with the lamps because he can't fly and knock them over."

This may sound silly, but if Walter is spooked, he could potentially be able to muster up enough strength to knock over a lamp.

Perhaps a smoke alarm might provide an additional sense of security.

• prmsdlndfrm
    14 years ago

have you consulted a vet about re breaking then re setting his leg. Ive seen it done on a dog before
    josh