Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chicken is not looking good

Posted by smilingbigsmile Oregon (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 21, 11 at 11:30

Hello,
I am hoping I am posting at the correct site but anyway-- We have 11 chickens and they have been healthy. Recently I went out to the coop and this one chicken looked like it had been picked on by the other chickens. Feathers were everywhere. She looks horrible. There is not blood or broken bones but she does look thin, most of the feathers are broken off or look really loose. This morning I noticed that at times she is walking close to the ground and walking criss cross. Meaning when she walked her feet are crossing over each other so she is not walking straight. I have isolated her away from the others. I am wondering if they were keeping her from eating. I brought bread out and she was so hungry and was right in there with the others trying to get some bread. While I have her isolated is there some extra nutrients I can give her to help her get better before this cold weather sets in? I am so worried for her. Any help is appreciated!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chicken is not looking good

I'm assuming she's not just in moult.

Segregating her is the best thing I think. Bread has very little nutritional value. I'd offer her laying pellets & plenty of water, and some kitchen scraps like tomatoe or potato peelings, maybe some worms for extra protein. They sell minerals but it wouldn't be worth it for just 1 chicken.

Go slow on the food though, you don't want to shock her body by it having almost nothing to being very rich in foods.

If she was sick the rest of the flock may have been picking on her.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here