Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are white tom turkeys usually nice?

Posted by mersiepoo 6a Pa (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 7, 09 at 12:47

I have one of those production type turkeys, and he is really a nice one. I hear that turkeys are sometimes vicious. Is this typical behavior for them, to be nice? He's the only turkey, and doesn't seem to try and pick on the other birds, meanwhile the geese are pulling the tail feathers out of the chickens.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are white tom turkeys usually nice?

never trust ANY tom turkey.

o

Okay....but are they usually nice? Our two geese aren't very nice, even though I tried to 'socialize' them. Has anyone had turkey's that are nice? He never was socialized because I figured I was going to eat him, but he's such a sweet bird. He's not mean at all, which I find unusual. He doesn't seem to pick on any of the other birds.

o

I used to have kardosh bronze and Spanish black turkeys, we showed them and the 1 bronze tom was national champion at Ohio Nat show. They were pretty tame and never made a bad move. I have had some others which began as pets, followed ya all over the place, until one day that all changed when the tom decided to whack anyone in sight. i dont think its anything breed specific, might be in the blood line? So, its possible it could be strain specific? Whit is just a color, all turkeys are the same except for color and some differences in type due to selection.

o

I had broad breasted bronze and they never even thought of being nasty. Would take them out walking in the pasture every day and when they had pecked away for a while they would follow me back to their pen. I couldn't leave them out because the coyotes would get them as soon as I turned my back.Also raised wild ones but they wouldn't even think of coming anywhere near me.

o

I had a white female turkey named turk turk and she was such a sweet heart ! I would bend down with my arms opened she would come running into my arms turn bright red when I'd pet her! If I sat down she would come behind me and put her head under my arm as to cuddle with me! She laid an egg a day for me and she started a nest a week before my husbands dog got loose and killed her ! I'm still upset about it :-(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here