Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msmitoagain

can you tell?

msmitoagain
15 years ago

if this is a rooster or a hen. This is one of the 2 that I got from a friend whose neice got as easter chicks. Haven't heard any crowing. Don't seem to be setting the nests, although the other easter chick we got has just started laying (a barred rock).

These kind of look like Buff Orpington's to me, but they are taller than the other 2 Buff Orp roosters that we have.

These 2 do occasionally butt chests with each other, no big fights, just like to deer's ramming each other.

{{gwi:47213}}

{{gwi:47214}}

Here is a link that might be useful: MY BLOG

Comments (10)

• farmerintraining
    15 years ago

I am not really sure but kinda looks like a hen. Does it seem to be developing spurs? I am just learning about chicks use to have some as a kid but that has been 35 years ago. wish i had paid more attention back then.

• rnold5
    15 years ago

I would say Roo. Take a look at those saddle feathers (they're the ones right in front of the tail). They look pointed, whereas on a hen they will be rounded.

• seramas
    15 years ago

I agree with Barnold-it's a Roo. The hackle (neck feathers) and saddle feathers are pointed. Looks to be approx 22 to 24 weeks old by the development of feathers between the waddles and eye. I agree with you that it is a Buff Orpington but not from a quality bloodline.

• msmitoagain
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everybody. Now what to do with 4 roosters. Don't tell me to eat them, not going to do that.

Can 4 roosters be put into a coop by themselves and get along?

We didn't want any roosters, the man said we picked out all hens. Except these 2 were given to us like I said.

• seramas
    15 years ago

msmitoagain-You seem old enough to know--never believe what a mortgage banker-car dealer or chicken salesman say.

Put a small ad in a local rag-'Roosters 4 sale or Trade for hens'.

Or-do like I do. When out driving sometimes I'll see some flock that has an interesting chicken that I don't have-so I stop and visit with the owners and many times strike up a deal to trade with them. Most are open to this. It's a great way to meet new friends.

Good luck-Virgil

• msmitoagain
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Mr. Virgil,

I already knew not to trust car dealers and mortgage people, will add chicken salesmen to the list.

• reba_nc
    15 years ago

I Love Your Blog!

• velvet_sparrow
    15 years ago

Rooster for sure! :) See those base of the tail hackle feathers? He's also growing some nice wing covert feathers (the shiny ones) and cape (neck) hackle feathers.

He's gorgeous, though, nice Buff Orp roo boy! Orps are very gentle and laid back, so I'm not surprised he hasn't started crowing or going all Super Macho. :) I can kinda see his fluffy thighs in the picture, so he looks like an Orp to me.

How many hens and how much room do all of the chickens have? I have 2 roos for 32 hens with a large run & yard, and can't have more than that, otherwise lots of fighting goes on--so much so that it upsets the hens and egg laying slacks off.

Velvet ~:>

• msmitoagain
    Original Author
    15 years ago

reba nc - thank you, I've always expressed myself better in words than in person

Velvet - we have 10 hens and I guess 4 roos now. We are not letting them sit any eggs, because we only want eggs for our personal use. I will not eat any of our chickens. Their pen is approx. 50 feet long by 25 feet wide. They have an 8 X 12 coop. There is a green house attached to the coop.

{{gwi:47216}}

{{gwi:47217}}

• velvet_sparrow
    15 years ago

Yeah, that's too many roos for only 10 hens. :( They'll end up fighting over the hens and wearing the backs off the poor girls. I'd keep one rooster (two, max, and only if they get along exceedingly well and can share the hens) and rehome the rest.

I'd love to have a Buff Orp roo, and I'll bet you won't have any trouble finding homes for the extra boys. :) Orps are popular.

Velvet ~:>