Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
water well

Posted by daddybob Ms (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 21, 09 at 13:39

I have a old drilled well about 85 feet deep. It has not been used in about 25 years. It has 2 pipes coming out of the casing. One 1" and another 1 1/4". My question is how does this type of well work. Does the pump push water down one pipe to make water come out of the other? My pump no longer exist. I was wondering if I could force air down one pipe and get water out of the other. I connected water hose to one pipe but it seems to be stopped up somewhere down the line. Is there something I can pour down in the well to clean the strainer or whatever's down there? I plan to use the water for plants.John

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: water well

• Posted by pris 8B TX (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 25, 09 at 12:44

I'm sorry you haven't gotten a response yet. My personal opinion is that your well is probably an abandoned one and had a submersible pump at on time. I doubt very seriously that you can get water to flow as you've described. I would check with a local well driller to find out for sure if I were you.

o
RE: water well

With two pipes coming out, they probably used a deep well jet pump. The smaller pipe is used to push water back down in the well to help push water to the surface in the larger pipe. At that depth, a surface pump can't pull water up because the weight of water is greater than air pressure and the pump can achieve a vacuum and water still won't rise to fill it.

Submersible pumps are often used in deeper wells because the pump can push water much higher than it can pull it, and you don't have a pump on the surface which has to be protected from winter freezing.

You should probably pull those pipes out anyways to check what is down there. You may have a foot valve at the end which needs to be changed and you can check for any corrosion or other problems with the pipes, and to check the actual depth to water and depth to the bottom of the well. This will allow you to adjust the length of your pipe to keep it in the water and not sucking sand and sediment from the bottom of the well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here