Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dighappy

weeds in my hay

dighappy
12 years ago

I just got some hay from a new source and found some kind of berry in it that has sharp needle like spines on the stem and another weed that looks like white feathers on a stem. Never say these in any hay I have purchased before, anyone know what these are? I am enclosing a pic. Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:47283}}

Comments (3)

• ga_karen
    12 years ago

The berry one sounds like it belongs in the nettle family, maybe stinging nettles. The other sounds like a kind of grass that is NOT one you want....it can become invasive in certain areas....don't remember the name of it though.
    Just saw your link to the pic...yep, nettles & grass...you don't want either of these growing on your place!!! Nettles are extremely hard to get rid of as they root/run underground as well as increase by seeds.
    Don't think I would get hay from them again!!! Might even return that for a refund!

• novascapes
    12 years ago

The grass looks as though it may be in the bluestem family and the berry looks like nightshade. Nightshade is toxic but cattle and horses will eat around it. I have had a lot of it in baled hay.

• ga_karen
    12 years ago

Nightshade & nettles are basically the same, at least to me. Nettles are in the nightshade family as well as tomatoes & datura (loco weed). All are posionous to a certain degree...some more than others.

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals