Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Older chicken with a hurt leg

Posted by catherinet 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 14:08

Hello! I've been on Gardenweb for years, and didn't realize this forum was here!

I have a 10 and 1/2 year old Easter-Egger. She was limping off and on for a week or two. Then, about a week ago, she couldn't put any weight on her leg.
I moved her to a dog crate so she wouldn't have as much room. She's eating and drinking fine.
I was thinking it might be a sprain. Her foot was looking a little swollen. But I can move her foot all around and it doesn't bother her. But, when I hold her and flex and extend her leg, she flinches. I think its her "elbow".....(I guess that's maybe where the patella is??)
I haven't splinted anything yet. But.....if I think its that joint........how would I even try to splint it?

Sure wish she could tell me where it hurts! :)
Nothing feels broken.
Any suggestions?
I am giving her some aspirin for the pain.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Older chicken with a hurt leg

10 years old is certainly ripe old age. Congrats on being able to keep her alive that long. :)

First of all, a limping chicken could mean anything from and in between, botulism, being egg-bound, Marek's Disease, bumblefoot, slipped tendon in her hock joint, worms, or just a vitamin deficiency. From what I've seen in my chicken experiences, chickens get probably as many problems as humans.

Also, a pic would be helpful, just to access the overall condition.
It's a very good sign, that she is eating and drinking well.
Chickens are very hardy, and have a great 'will to survive'.

Eliminating couple of things;

Is there a black spot on the bottom of her foot?
If you palpate her rear a bit, under the vent, so you feel anything hard?

Splinting something shouldn't be your first resort.
Adding a teaspoon or two of Apple Cider Vinegar will help keep her resistance up and maintain general health.
If it's worms, you'll need to add a bit of Diatomaceous earth to her feed in order to kill them.
If it can be narrowed down to a slipped tendon, then I'll search out a page in my bookmarks about Chicken Podiatry for you to look at.

Hope this helps. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here