Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
snowblower tractor question

Posted by runningtrails 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 19, 08 at 14:46

For those of you in the great white north, like myself, has anyone used a single stage snowblower before? We have an opportunity to buy a tractor with a single stage snowblower on it and need to know if it's worth it. We have always had double stage blowers. Is there a difference?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: snowblower tractor question

Runningtrails,

A "double stage" has an auger (collects the snow) and an impeller (throws the snow). Generally, two stage blowers work better for thick, heavy, snow.

Not sure about the tractor blowers. I am also looking at getting a snowblower for my JD tractor, but all the ones available are single stage. My issue is more of the weight of the machine. Where I am located (Red River Valley) the snow drifts and packs as hard as cement (my Toro 824 just rides right over the drifts). I am not sure if it is a waste of money or not.

If you find anything out, please post!

o
link

Try this forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: tractor forum

o

Two stage is better in the north. If you get 4-5" a single stage is OK-but when you get into drifts with a single stage you will probably spend more time unplugging than if you shoveled it.

I have a lazy-boy 1947 snow blower (single stage). It says that it will move two hundred shovelful of snow per minute. Runs like a scalded dog in dry snow that is about 4-5" deep. Let it melt a bit and it won't move 2" of wet snow.

In 2006 bought a 2-stage blower for the harder drifted and wet snows-only used it 4 times since it was bought-but it cleared the heavier snow like a dream.

o

I used a single-stage snowblower on the front of an 18 horsepower Craftsman garden tractor for 15 years with few problems. If you have the power, a single-stage will work fine--just keep the throttle up. You may have to operate in low range to keep the tractor speed over the ground down. Most of our winter snow is dry, but spring and fall snows are often wet. My driveway is 600 feet long. I sometimes had some trouble with ice if the snow fell, melted, and re-froze, but I think any snowblower would have trouble there, single or two-stage.
If your tractor has less than 15 horses, I would use two-stage, but if you have 20 or more, single should be fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here