Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chicken's safe? need advice

Posted by farmerintraining 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 8, 08 at 14:50

I wish I had a photo to post maybe in the next couple of days. Question is..My hubby took a metal table and PVC pipe and Chicken wire and built me a bird cage. When I decided to get my girls I put it in their pen and made it their coop. Their pen has a large net top over it. I go out everyday at dark and close the wire door and lock it with a clamp I have and then let them out everymorning. do any of you think a coon or possum could get in there? I don't want anything to happen to my girls!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chicken's safe? need advice

Hi!
Wish you could post a picture. Are the chickens just protected by chicken wire and a lock? If so they aren't protected very much...raccoons and other varmints can go through mesh very easily. You would be surprised! All my birds have a wooden coop, and a wooden door with two wires that keep it shut completely. Is it on the ground? Do you have any electric fence around it?

o

Hope you can post pictures soon. :)

o

Please, PLEASE replace the chicken wire with something stronger, such as hardware cloth. Chicken wire is way too flimsy and predators can tear right through it, as numerous people here have found, to their heartache. Learn from our mistakes. :(

I've got a chicken site that may help, here is the section on coops & runs:

http://jackshenhouse.com/VSChickCoop.htm

I have lots of pictures of my coop & run there, with details on how it was built. You don't mention what their pen is made of...but yeah, not only possums, but smaller vermin such as rats & mice can get right through chicken wire, and carry disease with them, ugh.

Your hubby sounds like an inventive & ambitious guy. :) Enjoy your chickens!

Velvet ~:>

o

Always assume coons can get in your coop! I made the mistake of thinking they couldn't and lost 23 chickens in one night. Chicken wire just won't cut it. A hungry coon with fresh chicken on his mind can easily push his way thru it. You need to use good sturdy hardware cloth as Velvet said above. And be sure it's stapled down really well...don't leave any gaps or puckers that a coon can get his wily hands in!! If they can reach your chickens, they will kill them, even if they can't get in the coop!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here