Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hatching Pekins Duck Eggs

Posted by mhanrahan01 SC (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 7, 08 at 14:59

Me and my son built an incubator and are trying to hatch some of my daughters duck eggs. Are all eggs laid by the female fertile. Its been aprox. 28 days and when we candle the eggs we are finding it hard to tell anything. How long should we wait? We have been able to maintain a constant temp of 100 degrees and humidity around 70%.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hatching Pekins Duck Eggs

Humidity consistency is very important. I've always mist the eggs after turning them starting about the 8Th day. According to my notes the humidity was 85% & Temp 99.5F from day 1 to day 25 there after increase humidity to 95% and drop temp to 98.5F for the last 3 days. Turn the eggs 3 x day first week, then 5 x day second week, then 7 x day to day 25-finish the last 3 days without turning.

when you candle the eggs at 28 days, you should be able to see 3/5Th dark 2/5 should appear light. The dark side should have an irregular shape and the bill should be pointing up into the lighter side. You should be able to see movement and hear peeping.

All birds can lay eggs with or without a male; so the answer is no.

There are a lot of things you'll need to know before the next batch is set. How to store the eggs before setting them-What temp to store at-Turning the stored eggs-to clean or not to clean (how to do it correctly)-how long they can be stored? How to prepare the incubator-cleaning/disinfecting it? Washing your hands before and after handling the eggs.

As you see the questions can go on and on. Google "hatching Duck Eggs". Check out the sites that are sponsored by an University or State. Many of the hatcheries have good info also.

Hope this helps-Good Luck-Virgil

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here