Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
feeding DDG

Posted by growernut 4/5 NEBR (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 9, 07 at 15:58

anybody feeding DDG (distillers grain)to goats? if so, does it seem to work ok?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: feeding DDG

what is ddg? never heard of it...

o

There are two big beer breweries here in Colorado, Coors, and Budweiser. I know the feed stores up in their area buy and bag the distillers grain and sell it in their stores. I don't know what percent protein, etc., they have. I know of people with market goats that routinely feed it, but am not sure about dairy goats, since they require a higher protein level. I have also heard of market goat people going to the smaller micro breweries and getting the grain "wet" from them. Most of the smaller places give it away, as it is problematic to try to store it and dry it for resale. I would think the wet stuff would have a short shelf life, as it could grow mold, etc.

o

i left some in their bags overnight and they smelled wretched the next morning. but they must be sterilized by the distillation process or whatever -- i've seen them piping hot sitting out in those barrels!

o

The brewing process does not sterilize the grain. It sanitizes it, but its still highly vulnerable to fungi (any antifungal would stop the yeast from working on the wort, the sweet water boiled out of the grain). If you dry it quickly nothing will take off in it in a major way, most of the water 'loving' (hygroscopic) simple carbohydrates (and almost all of the carbohydrates are simple because of the malting and mash processes) are rinsed out of the grain (lautering) because they will be fermented into alcohol.

Its though stuff to digest, lots of cellulose, but I'll bet that goats can handle it, I wouldn't make it the full diet, diversity is key.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here