Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chicken sports

Posted by marlingardener 8b (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 4, 09 at 16:11

I was reminded today of "cabbage tether ball" to keep chickens entertained, so not having a whole cabbage, I tied an apple to the coop's rafter and my ladies are playing "apple tether ball" (or "get bopped by the swinging apple").
What sports do your chickens indulge in? With colder weather coming up, the ladies will be spending more time in the coop and I don't want them to get bored. They entirely ignore the chess set I gave them . . . .

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chicken sports

Funny, never thought about hanging an apple. Going to try that.
Thanks

o

I bet any wind-up toy would drive chickens batty. Or do they still even make wind-up toys?

o

I would love some ideas for my girls this winter. I tried the cabbage thing. They ignored the cabbage altogether, unless I broke it off into little pieces and gave it to them, then they loved it. They`re a bit spoiled, I think. I removed the frozen cabbage ball after about a week. It occurs to me that they were all very young last winter. This year a cabbage may work better. They have learned how to forage a bit better now.

-Sheryl

Here is a link that might be useful: Providence Acres Farm Blog

o

Sheryl,
Give them grapes or cherry tomatoes or any small round fruit that isn't citrus, and they bowl. If you suspend a piece of toast on a string, they love to play with that. Also, if you have a melon that is past it's prime (my produce manager at the grocery will let me have an over-ripe melon for a dime--he has to charge according to the store's rules)just cut it in half and let them dive in, literally!
I think wind-up toys as suggested by Rockguy would frighten my ladies into not laying for a week! They have attitude, but they aren't overly brave.
Your chickens aren't spoiled, and neither are mine!

o

Ha, that's funny! I remember my old neighbor telling me that she remembers a news article where guineas were playing 'soccer' with a balloon, I guess they were trying to attack it or something.

Maybe get a remote control car, put some food on top of it and have fun letting them chase it around?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here