Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nitrile Gloves: butchering , gardening, painting, etc...

Posted by blueberrier1 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 12, 08 at 19:05

Just finished processing 98 cornish cross chickens. This time I wore nitrile gloves instead of the powder-free latex I had used for years.

These gloves are tough-never had one rip after gutting and trimming 24-30 chickens. (I always take a break after each batch)! I get a new pair for each batch. The gloves are very pliable...I can 'finger-out' the lungs with no problems. Have not had any sweating issues...nor rashes. After air-chilling the birds in the frig for 24 hours, I again don these gloves for cutting up the birds that are not frozen whole.

When I use these for gardening, I simply wash my hands with the gloves on, and then clip them to a hanger to dry for reuse. This season, I have only used about 6 pairs ...and that was because I managed to nick them on rough wire.

Of course, I wear these gloves for bleach clean up. They are my favorite NEW item of the year!

Found them at Costco. Made in Thailand. Do not know if they are at Lowes or walmart.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nitrile Gloves: butchering , gardening, painting, etc...

Sam's Club has them. I do find my hands sweat in them on hot days, but not as much as in the latex gloves - and they are tougher. I use them also for cleaning the bones after making chicken soup - those go straight in the trash (with the bones, skin and small bits of meat go to the dog) as I fear bacterial contamination too much to try to re-use them. And they gloves are wonderful for de-shelling or de-tailing (if you don't want to leave the tails as handles for dipping) shrimp after thawing and before cooking - no smell on your hands for hours after.

o
RE: Nitrile Gloves: butchering , gardening, painting, etc...

Agree with you on the nitrile glovs. I find they fit better than the vinyl ones. I have even started using them when I wash dishes -- I always wore rubber gloves, but find these work just as wellso that I can still use really hot water.
And I like the little bumps on the finger - helps for gripping.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here