Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I obtain a land grant to form a public garden or u-pick farm?

Posted by njbiology Zone 7(/6b); NJ (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 18, 09 at 19:49

Subject: Can I obtain a land grant to form a public garden or u-pick farm?

Hi,

Im looking for an educated opinion, guess, or guidance that would require some knowledge of grants land grants, agriculture grants, etc.
I would like to know if Id qualify for a government land grant for either or both of the following purposes:
To purchase land intended to host an extensive, well-designed native botanical garden/arboretum (including an extensive alternative edibles garden/Permaculture) open to the public or, if it is not possible for me to obtain a grant for this reason (being a lay person without scientific credentials or for other reasons?), then Id like to know if I could obtain an agriculture grant towards the creation of a you-pick (pick-your-own) fruit farm. Ideally, I would have both of these separate functions on the land.
In both cases, I would set aside 1 acre upon which Id build my home; the land would have to be at least 20 acres - in Orange County, New York.
I have what is, to my knowledge, a very extensive, specialized concept for a multi-biotope native botanical garden and educational ecology preserve. Im a school teacher but, again, have no relevant credentials that lead me to believe that I qualify for a grant.
So, should I hold-out on buying the land on my own and attempt to seek-out funding? Ultimately, I would literally prefer this to be something open to the public and not just for my own exclusive benefit. In fact, even if I have to purchase the land without a government or state grant, I would still want to form this and open it to the public, including schools, agricultural and ecology enthusiasts; but Ill want to know that Id be wasting my time in expecting my project goal to qualify for a grant before I go ahead make a land purchase on my own.
-Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I obtain a land grant to form a public garden or u-pick f

You live in area that is rich in Foundations and Corporations that would love to help you with that. Google Foundations in your city and state. To approach a Corporate for support is easily done by placing an ad in the Wall Street Journal. State you are seeing funding and guidance for (state your cause) in (your city-state). Have all responses go to a Box at the WSJ so you can glean out the crack-pots. By placing an ad they know youre serious. Be ready to sell your abilities/skill levels you (or your group) have for the proposed project.

o

I would love to see how this turns out Steve. Seramas, you sound like you have done this before!

o

I have my own foundation that was started back in 1972 and use to fund all kinds of projects like this. Now we just fund about 100 new scholarships each year for different local groups/charities.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here