Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njbiology

Can I obtain a land grant to form a public garden or u-pick farm?

njbiology
14 years ago

Subject: Can I obtain a land grant to form a public garden or u-pick farm?

Hi,

IÂm looking for an educated opinion, guess, or guidance that would require some knowledge of grants  land grants, agriculture grants, etc.

I would like to know if IÂd qualify for a government land grant for either or both of the following purposes:

To purchase land intended to host an extensive, well-designed native botanical garden/arboretum (including an extensive alternative edibles garden/Permaculture) open to the public or, if it is not possible for me to obtain a grant for this reason (being a lay person without scientific credentials or for other reasons?), then IÂd like to know if I could obtain an agriculture grant towards the creation of a you-pick (pick-your-own) fruit farm. Ideally, I would have both of these separate functions on the land.

In both cases, I would set aside 1 acre upon which IÂd build my home; the land would have to be at least 20 acres - in Orange County, New York.

I have what is, to my knowledge, a very extensive, specialized concept for a multi-biotope native botanical garden and educational ecology preserve. IÂm a school teacher but, again, have no relevant credentials that lead me to believe that I qualify for a grant.

So, should I hold-out on buying the land on my own and attempt to seek-out funding? Ultimately, I would literally prefer this to be something open to the public and not just for my own exclusive benefit. In fact, even if I have to purchase the land without a government or state grant, I would still want to form this and open it to the public, including schools, agricultural and ecology enthusiasts; but IÂll want to know that IÂd be wasting my time in expecting my project goal to qualify for a grant before I go ahead make a land purchase on my own.

-Steve

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations