Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
backyard chickens in Florida

Posted by maryld_gardener 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 15, 09 at 19:56

Hi everyone,I am looking for place to move where I can keep a few backyard chickens and have a garden in a town or small city on 1/2 acre or so. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: backyard chickens in Florida

• Posted by ga.karen 8 a/b Moultrie, Ga. (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 18, 09 at 21:59

I have a friend who lives in the Titusville area (NASA), she is in a subdivision outside a small town & has backyard chickens. Just one thing though...they have a fenced back yard due to gators in the area...to keep the gals safe. Hers are free range in her back yard.
Your best bet would probably be to contact all the counties in the areas where you are interested to see if they are allowed or what the restrictions are. I don't think she is allowed to have roosters due to their early morning wake-up calls!

o
RE: backyard chickens in Florida

I live in Vero Beach and keep 12 ducks and just finished my fresh from the coop breakfast.I have 2 and a half acres.
You must have other ideas about your perfect town besides raising chickens though. Oh and remember ducks are Great layers too and so much fun!Our county says pet 5 chickens with a PERMIT and NO ROOSTERS!
No Gators in my pond so far but bobcats ,GRRRRR!!!
The hawks have not bothered the ducks but chickens are another story. Never get white!
Email me if you like, my husband and son sell Real Estate
on the Treasure Coast. Prices are good.
Tanya

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here