Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zensojourner

Ivermectin for doggies

Pyewacket
16 years ago

First, DO NOT USE IVOMEC PLUS for heartworm control on your dogs. It has other chemicals in it that could harm your dog's health. Use ONLY the straight ivermectin liquid solutions.

You should have the dog tested for heartworms first because once you start treating, the test won't work anymore. Ivermectin will not kill adult heartworms, although there is some evidence that it makes them sterile (can't breed any more so your dog is not a pool for infection) and that it may shorten their lives, usually about 2 years if untreated. So if your dog has heartworms and you start treating him without testing first, you wont be able to tell later if he needs treatment for adult heartworms. It wonÂt show up on the test anymore.

That said I'm going to give you the straight skinny on proper dosage for heartworm using ivermectin. This is typically a topic that just pisses the he** out of people who have been doing it wrong for years on end because they are so positive they've been doing it right. Well, if you've been dosing your dogs in higher amounts than what is listed below, you've been doing it wrong. Whether or not that has had any sort of negative effect on your animal may well be arguable, since tolerance for ivermectin is generally quite high amongst those animals that tolerate it well. Try to look at it as you are wasting money, rather than an accusation that you're risking your dogs' health. I will note, however, that the "safe" dosage for dogs (other than collies) is considered to be no more than 200 times the recommended dosage. Some of the dosing schemes mentioned here seem to go considerably higher than that.

Here are some conversion factors to remember:

1 cc = 1 ml

100 mcg = 0.1 mg (100 micrograms = one-tenth of a milligram)

10 mcg = 0.01 mg (10 micrograms = one-hundredth of a milligram)

1% ivermectin straight out of the bottle has 10 mg of ivermectin per ml. As someone pointed out, a 50 ml bottle of this runs around $27 at Jeffers Vet Supply. This needs to be cut drastically to get it down to an acceptable dosage for dogs.

0.27% ivermectin would have 2.7 mg (or 2700 mcg) of ivermectin per ml. This is swine wormer, and I suspect the reason it isn't used by breeders is that it actually costs more than the 1%. However, most of us couldn't use up an entire bottle of Ivomec 1% cattle wormer in the 2 year period before it expires, so it may very well be a false economy to stick with the cattle wormer if you're not going to be able to use it all up anyway. I just checked, and this is $45 for 200 ml at Jeffers Vet Supply. YouÂd still need to cut this, but not nearly as much as it is already about ¼ strength compared to the 1% ivermectin solutions. If it were available in a 50 ml size, that would be most excellent.

To the person giving 1/10 cc of the 0.27% Ivomec to a 24 pound dog  the dose for your dog would normally be about 0.025 of a cc of this solution, so youÂre probably giving your dog about 4 times more than necessary, but not a harmful dose.

USING IVERMECTIN TO PROTECT AGAINST HEARTWORM IN DOGS

The correct dosage for dogs is 0.0015 mg to 0.003 mg per pound of body weight. That's 1.5 mcg to 3 mcg per pound of body weight.

The formula someone gave that says to add .3 cc of 1% ivermectin to 1 oz of propylene glycol, and then dose at 10 mcg per pound of body weight, is for FERRETS. NOT dogs. That dose is about 3 to 7 times too high for dogs. Not likely to be actually dangerous, but it's not the correct dosage.

If you are using the 1% ivermectin straight out of the bottle and giving your dog 1/10th of a cc (0.1 cc = 0.1 ml) per pound of body weight, you are dosing your dog at the rate of 1 mg per pound of body weight. That is FAR FAR over the recommended dose of no more than 0.003 mg per pound of body weight. Even if you're doing it at 1/10 cc per TEN lbs it's still way too much. I donÂt THINK anyone is doing this with the 1% ivermectin, but some of the posts were a little unclear on this. Doing it THIS way  straight, uncut  with the 1% ivermectin would be far riskier than anything I personally would want to be involved with.

If you are cutting it at the rate of 1:9 with propylene glycol, you end up with 1 mg of ivermectin per ml (it is now a 0.1 % solution).

If you then give 1/10th of a cc per 10 lbs, which I think is what people were recommending, you are still dosing at 0.01 mg per pound of body weight, or 10 mcg per pound. 1/10 cc has 1/10 mg of ivermectin in it. So a 20 lb dog would get 2/10 cc, with 2/10 mg of ivermectin in it, which is 200 mcg of ivermectin when the suggested dose for this size dog is between 23 mcg and 60 mcg. This is essentially the same as the ferret dosage, roughly between 3.5 to 10 times higher than it needs to be. Probably not dangerous, but why waste the stuff? If youÂre cutting it anyway, why not just cut it down to something more precisely manageable?

HereÂs what I do:

½ ml of 1% Ivomec injectable cattle wormer added to 49.5 ml of propylene glycol. There was 5 mg of ivermectin in the ½ ml of 1% ivomec, now suspended in 50 ml of propylene glycol, for a concentration of 5 mg/ 50ml. This is 0.1 mg per ml, or 100 mcg per ml.

For those slightly less obsessed with precision than I, you could make this ½ ml of the 1% Ivomec added to 10 tsp of propylene glycol (3 T plus 1 tsp). Measure this using an accurate 1/4 c measure and take out 2 tsp. It works out roughly the same. If you try to do it with a tsp or T at a time, you keep adding errors with every spoonful - use the 1/4c measure and take out 2 tsp, it'll be closer. Plus it's easier.

Multiply the weight of your dog by 2. This gives you, in MICROGRAMS, how much medication to give your dog. If itÂs a little less or a little more you are still within the safe zone of 1.15 to 3 mcg per pound of body weight. You can actually use any number between 1.15 and 3, I just picked 2 because itÂs easy to do in your head. Heartguard uses 2.72 as their upper limit; notice that smaller dogs are getting more, sometimes significantly more, than 2.72 mcg per pound in the weight ranges that Heartguard uses. So yes there is room for slop.

Then divide that by 100 to determine how many ccÂs of the above mixture to squirt into the lil pupÂs mouth.

SO if your dog weighs 24 lbs:

24 x 2 = 48; divide by 100 = 0.48 cc

We canÂt measure in hundredths of a cc, so just round to the nearest whole 1/10th of a cc. In this case, a 24 lb dog should get ½ cc of the above mixture. (rounding 0.48 up to 0.5, or ½ cc).

SO, weight of the dog in pounds x 2 / 100 = # of ccÂs of this mixture to give the puppy to protect it from heartworm.

A 100 lb dog using this solution would get 2 cc of solution. (100 x 2 / 100 = 2). Anything between 1.2 cc to 3 cc would be safe for a dog this size (itÂs weight x the amount in mcg per pound, so where there is a 2, any number from 1.15 to 3  the dosage range for heartworm control  could have been used).

Make sense?

Using the 1:9 ration, the amount of ivermectin per cc is (from above) 1 mg, or 1000 mcg. So the calculation for the 1:9 ration (1 cc of 1% ivermectin added to 9 cc of propylene glycol) would be:

For 1:9 solution ONLY: weight in lbs x 3 / 1000 = ccÂs to give, or, for example:

100 lb dog => RANGE of appropriate dosage would be

100 x 1.15 / 1000 = 0.115 cc MINIMUM to 100 x 3 / 1000 = 0.3 cc MAX

50 lb dog => RANGE of appropriate dosage would be

50 x 1.15 / 1000 = 0.057 cc MINIMUM to 50 x 3 / 1000 = 0.15 cc MAX

20 lb dog => RANGE of appropriate dosage would be

20 x 1.15 / 1000 = 0.023 cc MINIMUM to 20 x 3 / 1000 = 0.06 cc MAX

We canÂt give less than 1/10 of a cc, so you can see how much harder it gets to dose your dog properly the smaller they get. If you have BIG dogs, it doesnÂt matter much, you can get something that falls within the recommended treatment range; but if you have SMALL dogs, you end up routinely overdosing them. ThatÂs why I favor the lower concentration solution. IÂve never had a dog over 40 lbs, and most of them were 25 lbs or less.

Again, as long as you cut it at least 1:9 and use the formula above (more accurate than 1/10 cc per 10 lbs), youÂre probably (PROBABLY) not going to do any lasting damage to your (non-collie) dog, but if youÂre cutting it anyway, and you have smaller dogs, why not cut it to something a bit more manageable?

Of course, you can skip all this mixing and stuff and go right to the .27% ivomec for swine. Then the calculations would be as follows:

Weight of your dog x 3 / 2700 = # of ccÂs of 0.27% Ivomec.

In this case a 24 lb dog would get : 24x3=72, 72/2700 = 0.0267 cc. Since itÂs awfully hard to get less than 1/10 cc, youÂd probably go ahead and give the dog 1/10 cc. This is still "overdosing", but itÂs about the same as what folks are doing with the 1:9 solution or the Ferret Mix. ItÂs no worse, not dangerously high for non-susceptible dogs, and skips all the mucking about with having to cut the solution (and find a source for propylene glycol).

So if you wanted to skip any mixing at all, you could give 0.27% (NOT 1%) ivomec as follows:

20 lbs  100 lbs 1/10 cc (delivers 270 mcg of ivermectin)

100 lbs  200 lbs 2/10 cc (delivers 540 mcg of ivermectin)

I canÂt imagine a dog bigger than 200 lbs, but if there are any out there, you could give them 3/10 of a cc of the straight 0.27% Ivomec. ThatÂd be a scary big dog indeed.

I wouldnÂt do this with puppies  theyÂre more sensitive to overdose. In fact you should not be giving ivermectin in any form whatsoever to puppies under 6 weeks of age  it can cross the blood-brain barrier just like it does in collies until theyÂre older. 8 weeks would probably be safer. If youÂre going to dose really small dogs (under 20 lbs) and puppies, cut the stuff and stick to the recommended dosages.

HereÂs a reference for dosing information that includes gastrointestinal worming and skin parasites:

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/ivermectin-ivomec-heartgard/page1.aspx#

HereÂs a treatment schedule for demodectic mange that includes the use of ivermectin:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/demodicosis-red-mange-in-dogs/page4.aspx

WHERE TO GET PROPYLENE GLYCOL: Beg a cup or so off of a large animal vet, or if you know someone who raises cattle, they probably have some. I've never been able to find it to buy in anything less than a gallon size. We're talking TEASPOONS here, for most of us who aren't breeders anyway. DO NOT SUBSTITUTE ETHYLENE GLYCOL, IT IS POISONOUS AND WILL KILL KILL KILL YOUR DOG!

Do not attempt to mix with water as Ivermectin is NOT water soluble. It won't distribute evenly in water, stick with the propylene glycol.

A final note: Using my formula you end up with 49.5 ml of 1% ivomec left in the bottle, and 50 ml of heartworm preventative. My dog weighs 23 pounds; her dose should be between 0.3 cc and .5 cc. Assuming .5 cc, there are 100 doses in that 50 ml of solution. The solution should only be kept for 2 years, so basically I have to throw the rest of it out. Nevertheless, at under $28 for a bottle of 1% Ivomec, it's way WAY cheaper than buying the stuff at the vet - 2 years worth of heartworm pills from my vet for my dog cost something over $250. (It's like $12 a month). When I had 4 dogs, there was just no comparison - four dogs were running me over $50 a month.

In short, it might be nice to go in with a group of friends to buy and make up the stuff. Otherwise most of it will go to waste. Better yet, if you know someone who raises cattle, I'm sure they'd be willing to spot you a half ml or so.

Hope that all helps.

Sojourner

Comments (51)

• bruglover
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

ewesfullchicks -

The 1/10th cc per 10 lbs dose is what I have been told numerous times by the vets who treat my dogs. They also warned me to keep the rubber stopper in the bottle and keep the bottle in a dark place, because ivermectin deteriorates upon exposure to light and/or air.

To my knowledge, ivermectin isn't effective against roundworms.

Zensojourner -

The dosage told to me by my vets is one-tenth of a cc per TEN POUNDS of dog. In other words, a 50 lb dog would receive 1/2 cc. I have been using this dosage on my dogs for literally decades with no problems. I don't have herding breeds presently; I understand they can now be tested for susceptibility to ivermectin reaction.

Our vets ask if the dog is receiving ivermectin, and if they are and we still want to do a test for heartworm, there is a different test available that works.

I appreciate your formulation, but I don't know if there's much point in going to all that trouble to get the dose down, as the larger dose doesn't seem to be harmful to the vast majority of dogs. The dosage for demodectic mange given orally) is even higher than the HW dose, and it's given DAILY until the dog grows all its hair back - again, per instructions by my vet.

Also, given that I have been told to be sure to keep the rubber stopper in the bottle and use a syringe to draw it out, to minimize exposure of the med to air, I wonder if it's really such a great idea to open it all up and mix it, etc., from that aspect.

Again according to my vets, puppies don't need to be started on heartworm prevention until they're four months old due to the time it takes the larvae to develop past where they're susceptible to the med.

I think the best idea is for people to check with their vet about the dosage. Our 3 different vets over the last several decades were all very forthcoming about this; I suspect most vets would be, especially for clients with multiple dogs.

• faithfulwings
    15 years ago

We have 8 dogs with Sarcoptic mange. I ordered the Ivomec 1% solution but am posting to make certain I get this straight. I'm not diluting it. I have great experience with giving tiny doses from treating our hens.

One dog, 23 pounds, would receive 2/10ths of a ml/2/10ths of a cc?

Five dogs at 45 pounds would get 1/2 a ml/cc of the solution?

One Dog at 65 pounds would get 6/10ths of a ml/cc?

One dog at 90 pounds would get 9/10ths of a ml/cc?

Is this too much? I'm dosing every seven days for three weeks or until every bit of hair grows back in.*sigh*

• mrtlrtst5
    15 years ago

Our 95lb dog tested positive for heartworms that he apparently got from the breeder because we have had him on prevention since we got him. We went back for a 1 year check up and he tested positive. The vet wants 1000.00 to treat him and that is just not even reasonable for us to do, so we started asking around and we were told that we could give our dog an increased amount of Ivomec weekly for a period of time and it would get rid of the heartworms. So My question is, how much do you give him and how long? What amount of Ivomec is fatal to a dog in what period of time? We have bought the 1% solution from our local co op and I just dont feel comfortable doing this without some really solid numbers!

• faithfulwings
    15 years ago

In reply to mrtlrtst5:

All I can tell you is this ~ A dog with Demodectic mange can receive .1 % of a cc per ten pounds of weight, daily.

If you look online for regimens Vets prescribe for dosage times, say once monthly, every week, bimonthy etc. when they treat a heart worm dog you'll find the how often of your question.

My dogs have Sarcoptic mange & are various weights as described above in my previous posts.

I give them Ivomec 1% every 3-4 days because their mange is so bad. It has not hurt them at all. One pup (7 months old now) literally has flourished since we began treating him April 24th.

We give the 50 pound pups a half a CC.

We give our Great Pyr (92 pounds) .8 of a CC. (I didn't want to give too much)

We will continue doing this until all their hair begins growing back in the areas where they have the mange.

I syringe it in to a tablespoon of left overs or Ramen Noodles. My dog (the pups & other dogs are my children's & my Husband's) won't eat the food unless I sprinkle it with cheese & real bacon bits.;-) She's too smart for that & knows there is meds in her food let alone the yucky taste of the Ivomec.

I hope this helps you.

• faithfulwings
    15 years ago

Posted by Eithne z5 IA (My Page) on Sun, Jul 10, 05 at 7:15

ceresone wrote:
    "when using some wormers for heartworms, if the dog has never been tested FOR heartworms, and has them, a regular dosage could kill too many heartworms at one time, and clog the chambers of the heart."

This was a problem with diethylcarbamizine (sp? the active ingredient in Filaribits, the old once a day heartworm preventative). It is not a
    problem with ivermectin because the ivermectin only kills the microfilaria during a specific stage of their development (between 48 hours and 40 days).

In fact, one recommended course of treatment for dogs with an existing load of heartworms who aren't good candidates for the treatment that kills the heartworms is to give them a regular dose of ivermectin so that the dog doesn't get further infested. Eventually the existing heartworms will die of old age or the dog will become healthy enough to go through the heartworm treatment.

I did a lot of rescue and got this information from my vet. Many of those rescues were in bad shape and not healthy enough to go through the heartworm elimination treatment. Ivermectin kept them from picking up any more heartworm while I worked on getting the dog in good enough health to go through the full treatment.

Old Mcdonald, I'm not sure why but so far there are no reports of medication resistant heartworms. Not even to diethylcarbamazine which has been in use for 40 years.

Lesli8, ivermectin is actually one of the safest drugs used for most dogs. The exception is that about 75% of all Collies and a handful of other breeds have a genetic defect that allows the medication to crass the blood/brain barrier.

Revolution is convenient but there are too many reports of dogs getting serious skin lesions from it for me to risk it.
    This is an earlier post that addresses your question.

• txsartdog
    15 years ago

to zensojuorner: Thank you very much for finally clarifying the .27% dosage amounts. I'm so relieved to find the right dosage.

• henhilton
    15 years ago

Yep. This always a hot topic.

mrtlrtst5, I'm glad you have decided not to proceed without solid numbers! More than the danger of overdosing the dog on Ivermectin is the danger of the dead heartworms causing a heart attack. If you do get solid info and proceed on your own, be sure to keep the dog VERY QUIET, like in a kennel too small to even move around much (I know it sounds cruel). I don't remember how long the dog needs to be kept from running around. I did a lot of rescue work for many years, but I never did a heartworm treatment at home - just knew some other rescuers who did. There was only one vet out of the many associated with our group who would give info for doing it yourself, and even he did not condone it in all cases. It can really be dangerous.

There isn't much I won't take on myself as far as caring for my animals, but heartworm treatment is one thing that, personally, I shell out the $$ for the vet to do.

pam

• chivalryess
    15 years ago

It doesn't seem to list anywhere on the internet in conjunction with the use of this mix that the propylene glycol can be harmful, What about all of the harmful effects listed with the use of the propylene glycol if you google it? I am interested in using this mixture for HW prevention but not if once I get the dose straightened out without much for math skills, the harm is in giving propylene glycol orally to the dogs. Any comment?
    Lisa

• cme10ae
    15 years ago

Maybe I missed it, but I don't see how often to give this formula to your dogs. Is it once monthly like the meds from the vet?

• crys1977
    15 years ago

I was wondering what kind of ivomec do you buy? Do you buy the one for the cattle or for the sheep? Do you buy the injectable on or the pour on? Could someone please help me right away?

• taneyco
    15 years ago

. in a heavy infestation it is best to have the vet manually remove the worms from the heart thru surgery. In a mild case of heartworms, and if the dog passes a physical exam including a blood work up, pee test. Etc. a dog can usually be given HW insecticide The dog then must be kept quiet (small kennel) for the first 3 weeks after HW killing meds. The reason is the HW protocol is an effective insecticide that will kill the H worms fast. The dead HW clogs the heart, a dog can die from the dead worms clogging up the arteries in the heart.
    I have heard of just giving HW therapy using only heart `guard knowing HW is present. Products such as heart guard, will kill the adult HW, but it will take 18 months to kill the adult HW and have the dogs body absorb the HW. 18 months is a long time to have a HW in your dogs body.
    for preventative, Heart guard you really only have to give to your dog every month and a half.
    Pro heart 6 is back on the market... steer clear of it though. nice to only have to give it every 6 months, but it did kill a lot of dogs..

Donna
    Chinese Crested Breeder

• bellasmommy1225
    15 years ago

Ok, so I'm not a math major and I have no idea how to use the info previously posted. I have purchased a 1% solution of Ivomec at a feed store and have a 50 pound pitbull. How much do I give in my ml syringe straight out of the bottle? I know this should be simple math I guess but to me all the info from zen is greek. Please advise as my husband is one of those people who think they've been "doing it right all these years" on his other dogs. I've never had mine on this and want to get her started asap. She has the dermatitis mange (a mild case so far that I've treated with antibiotics and benadryl) She also was spayed 7 days ago, should I wait to give her the ivomec due to the surgery?
    Please simplify the dosagae for me. Thanks so much.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

at 10000 mcg per ml and 1.5-3 mcg per pound effective dose you need at least 75-150 mcg for your dog or .0075 to .0150 ml of the solution. You can safely do 200 times that much according to the OP. FYI one drop of water or water like liquid runs between .04 and .05 ml

• jereece
    15 years ago

I would NOT give my dogs the recommended dose on the Ivomec vial (.1cc/10 pounds) because that's for cattle. Dogs are not cattle. If you read Merial's information you will see that the dosage for swine is lower because swine are not cattle either. The concentration in Heartgard was designed for dogs, so I keep close to that dose, but am not overly concerned about precise accuracy because there is a lot of experience that shows mild overdoses are normally not harmful except for the breeds that have been mentioned. The precise dosage of Ivomec 1% for dogs is 0.0027 cc or ml per 10 pounds. This based on the concentration in Heartgard for dogs. I verified the concentration and dilution with a vet, a pharmacist and a chemist.

• momsoldstore
    15 years ago

OUR BOXER HAS HEARTWORMS AND WAS TREATED YESTERDAY AND WE ARE SUPPOSE TO GIVE HER MORE 1 X A MONTH. SHE WAS FRISKY AND PLAYING WHEN WE TOOK HER IN NOW SHE IS BREATHING HARD AND LAYING AROUND.THE DR SAID SHE HAD ABOUT 1 MONTH TO LIVE. SHE WENT FROM BEING PLAYFUL TO LAYING AROUND IN A FEW HOURS. SINCE SHE HAS HEARTWORMS WILL THIS BE OK TO GIVE TO HER? I WANT TO TRY SOMETHING THAT IS NATURAL.THERE ARE SOME ON THE INTERNET AND I WAS JUST WONDERING ABOUT THEM. WE GOT HER AS A RESCUE DOG AND SHE HAS BEEN HEALTHY. NOW THIS VET TELLS US SHE HAD THEM FOR ALONG TIME, LONGER THAN WE HAVE HAD HER.I AM REALLY WORRIED THAT WITH HIM GIVING HER THIS INJECTION HE HAS DONE MORE HARM THAN GOOD.IS IT NORMAL AFTER GETTING THIS INJECTION FOR HER TO JUST BE LAYING AROUND?ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRICIATED.

• shedevilx15
    14 years ago

So I'm really confused. I have Pomeranians. some of my poms are only 4.5-5 pounds, and others are up to 8 pounds. what is the dosage I would give them?

Is this safe for pomeranians?

• oldhounddog
    14 years ago

momsoldstore,
    Sorry your dog is not doing well. Vet's often don't tell you these things untill after the fact b/c if they told you this first you may have chosen not to treat if the dog has an advanced case of heartworms. How is your dog today.
    No need to consider HW prevention meds at this time. Wait to see how the dog does. There are things that a Vet can give the dog to help in some cases to help if dealing with a large amount of heartworms. Hope your dog makes it. Please post and let us know.

• oldhounddog
    14 years ago

shedevilx15,

It is safe in HW prevention doses if your Poms do ok on other HW meds like Heartguard for dogs.
    As far as dosage goes,if you refer to the original post by zensujourner it is covered in great detail. Read the section that refers to "this is what I do" .
    If things are still not clear please post again.

• chromegirl63
    13 years ago

my brother just gave his 65 # boxer 35cc's if 1.87% jeffers ivermectin paste.
    I believe he has OD'd the dog. The dog is noxw very hyper what can be done. and what would the correct dosage be.

• vetmed_paloki_com
    13 years ago

Here is a link for the MDR1 gene from the WSU vet collage, they have dna test for the mutation that shows dogs that can have problems with some medicines including ivermectin. For Ivermection it states the following.

Ivermectin (antiparasitic agent). While the dose of ivermectin used to prevent heartworm infection is SAFE in dogs with the mutation (6 micrograms per kilogram), higher doses, such as those used for treating mange (300-600 micrograms per kilogram) will cause neurological toxicity in dogs that are homozygous for the MDR1 mutation (mutant/mutant) and can cause toxicity in dogs that are heterozygous for the mutation (mutant/normal).

This agree's with the OP that .1 cc per 10# of 1% solution is about 10000 times to high for heartworm preventative.

1% has

100mg per ml
    10mg per .1ml
    10000 mcg per .1ml

So if you give your dog .1ml/cc of 1% solution you are giving
    the dog 10,000 mcg, when the dose is 6mcg per 2.2lbs.

• mjingle_cfl_rr_com
    12 years ago

What is the dosing per pound for dogs if I use the 0.08% Ivermectin (http://www.jefferslivestock.com/privermectin-sheep-drench/camid/LIV/cp/0030469/) I have 5 small dogs.

• mplesnts
    12 years ago

Ok, just wanted to say thank you for the very definative answer. I spent too much time trying to figure this out this evening and if I had found this post first it would have helped a lot. I wanted to mention that you can get smaller ammounts of propeline glycol than one gallon if you go to homemade perfume sites. I found one that had a variety of sizes called fullovescents.com

Here is a link to their smallest size which is 4oz https://fulluvscents.com/store/dipropyleneglycoldpglowodor4ozntwt-p-58031.html

Personally, though I picked out the 16 oz size which is equal to roughly 475ml, and since there seems to be a little extra room in the bottle I figure I can just pour out 25ml and then empty the standard 50ml size of 1% ivermectin into it and thereby easily achieve the desired 1 to 9 ratio. This will of course give me way more than I need for one little 55 pound dog, but I've got lots of friends with dogs and if this experiment turns out to be a good idea I will just suggest it as a gift.

Hey, and in other "I don't like paying rediculous ammounts of money to keep my dog healthy" news, Frontline's patent on fiporil just expired and they apparently have a competitor called petarmor. While I can't find a place where I can actually buy it yet Sams had a price listed for the big dog version that was half of the going rate for Frontline ($34 for 6 mo worth vs. $66 with Frontline).

• kkoleno_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

It looks like most people using ivermectin for their dogs are trying to cure mange of heartworm. I would like to use it to prevent disease instead of using revolution. Can it be used for this and if so how often should I use it?

• phurst1959
    12 years ago

OK, just call me dense. Math is NOT my strong suit. If I mix 50ml 1% injectible Ivermectin with 250ml propylene glycol does that make my dose 1.0ml per 10 lbs. body weight? That is the mix ratio and dose I used for years for my boxer based on information given me by a pharmacist, a vet, and the kennel master at a local hunting plantation. Have recently acquired a lab/malamute mix that will be 10 wks old on 6/23 and weighs 15 lbs. According to what I have done in the past, my dose for her would be 1.5ml of the mixture. Am I wrong? Thanks.

• deannaandjason_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

We recently moved but my previous vet and my current vet have said to treat my Great Pyrs with 1% ivermec (for cattle) at a dosage of 1/10 cc per 10 pounds. These vets do not know one another, but are both livestock/pet vets. I've been doing just that for 4 years thus far with no problems. I also treat periodically with Safe-guard goat dewormer when I see any evidence of roundworms.

• 10000marbles_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I looked at many websites during my research on using Ivomec for heartworm treatment in dogs. I liked zensojourner's first post here the best. The quantities he recommends are for small dogs and mine are over 50lbs and one is only 6 months old. Trying to get them to swallow 1-2 mls of fluid seemed like it would be difficult so I decided to use a more concentrated mixture. \
    Here is what I came up with and I would like to have my math checked before proceeding (in case I did something stupid). Hopefully zensojourner is still around, but I am open to criticism by anyone.
    Thanks.

Ivomec is 1% ivermectin = 10 mg/ml = 10,000mcg/ml

1ml Ivomec + 19ml pg = 10,000mcg/20ml = 500mcg/ml

dog dose = 2 mcg/lb (acceptable range 1.5 - 3)

50lb = 100mcg = 0.20ml - (0.30ml max)

60lb = 120mcg = 0.24ml - (0.36ml max)

70lb = 140mcg = 0.28ml - (0.42ml max)

80lb = 160mcg = 0.32ml - (0.48ml max)

90lb = 180mcg = 0.36ml - (0.54ml max)

100lb = 200mcg = 0.40ml - (0.60ml max)

• ELLA321
    12 years ago

Am treating heartworm positive female lab with .6ml of invermectin 1% and doxycycline 100mg. Doxy 2x daily for 7 days. Ivermectin on 8th and 23rd. Directions given by rescue organization. Does this treatment eventually kill all heartworms?

• bruglover
    12 years ago

ELLA321:

It appears that the treatment will eventually kill all the heartworms. Below is a link to a semi-technical article on the topic. Doxycycline treatment apparently helps eliminate heartworm because it kills an organism in the worm. Interesting.

*Follow your vet's instructions.*

I haven't had any problems getting my dogs to swallow the ivermectin. Pull up into syringe, take the needle off, open mouth and squirt in back of throat. Voila.

I'll repeat, I would greatly hesitate to get propylene glycol and dilute and mix ivermectin, since I've been told by several different vets over the years to use one-tenth of a cc (of the type I purchase) per ten pounds of dog, or 1 cc per 100 pounds. I would not want to end up diluting it to the point where it didn't work. Thirdly, the typical dose for treating demodectic mange is larger than 0.1 cc per 10 pounds of dog. I have not seen ANY side effects with dosing my dogs with the vet-recommended dose. She did caution me to keep the vial in a dark place and don't remove the rubber stopper, as the med deteriorates on exposure to light and air.

The BEST idea, if you have multiple dogs and the monthly pills are too expensive, is ASK YOUR VET.

Don't rely on the internet or even on us posters to accurately answer questions when it comes to medication ;-).

• Crystal1917
    11 years ago

Okay I have read ALL the posts about ivermectin. There seems to be some that say dilute and other that don't. I have several dogs that I have rescued from people dumping them in the back country roads.. And the last one has mange. I have bought the ivermectin. But I need to know if I should Dilute or not..Like I said I have read ALL the posts. But it is still unclear. Also what to dilute with, some say the propylene glycol, I also read somewhere vegatable oil, and even water. So should I dilute or not..and if not is the dosing still .1cc per 10 lbs? Thanks for all your help and the reading has been educational. Thanks

• oliveoyl3
    11 years ago

Consult a vet before dosing.

I thought I understood the directions and used a horse paste with our dogs last year.

One was blind the next morning from too much ivermectin because he must have licked it off the other one's mouth. They didn't like the apple paste, so I put some on their lips. Big mistake!

A rush to the vet to make sure he wouldn't need his stomach pumped. He recovered fine, but if I had just gone to the vet to get proper dosage and usage instructions we would have saved $, time, & worry.

I regret it forever because that same dog a few weeks later had a sudden illness and eventually showed a liver tumor. Could it be that he had the tumor that affected his response to the ivermectin or did the tumor grow as a result of the overdosage? He didn't eat and despite numerous vet visits we were unable to improve his rapidly declining condition. We put him down 3 weeks and nearly $1,000 later.

I will never use ivermectin on dogs again.

• bruglover
    11 years ago

corrine1 - Terribly sorry you had that experience.

---> I am not a vet. This is from my own experience with my dogs.

Ivermectin paste for horses is usually 1.87% - NOT the same percentage of ivermectin in the more commonly-used liquid, which is 1%. That is the percentage upon which the 0.1 cc or 0.1 mL per 10 lbs dosing for dogs is based.

So it's possible that your dog got more than a double dose, which could indeed cause problems.

Herding breeds (Collies, Border Collies, Shelties, etc. and mixes of same) should not be given ivermectin unless they are tested for the genetic anomaly that makes them too sensitive (which is carried by around 25% of those breeds). Some vets, including mine, are being ultra-cautious now with ivermectin, and following the saying "White feet, don't treat."

I BEG AND PLEAD that a person gets info from a vet regarding dosing for ivermectin for their dog. I am hesitant to advise the mixing down because I have used the 0.1 cc per 10 lbs of body weight for literally decades with NO problems. Plus I was told by my vet that I did not have to keep it refrigerated, but keep it in the dark and keep the container closed, because light and air can cause it to deteriorate. That tells me it might not be a good idea to open the container and mix it to a lower percentage.

The dosing for demodectic mange that I was told by my vet is quite a bit higher than the HW prevention dose, given DAILY. So ivermectin in dogs has a pretty nice margin of safety. That is, if they get overdosed - as long as it isn't more than a double dose, and not to one of the sensitive breeds - they'll probably be okay. At any rate, the symptoms of a dangerous overdose would make a person rush their dog to the vet.

As to whether or not ivermectin causes cancer in dogs, I doubt it. Dogs are living longer. Cancer seems to be, very often, a disease of old age - repeated insults over time and/or cell system breakdown getting closer to end-of-life. There are a LOT of natural substances that can cause cancer, so I don't jump into the chemicals = bad camp. Ancient man developed cancer; some researchers are now saying they did so at around the same rate as modern man, adjusting for things like age and smoking. JMO.

I am unsure how ivermectin is metabolized in dogs, so can't tell you whether a liver cancer might have affected sensitivity to it. I tried to look it up, but the references I found are all pretty technical, and I'm also not a pharmacologist ;-).

Ivermectin is *supposed to be* one of the drugs that can be given to HW positive dogs without problem. In fact, a fair number of rescues are using the "slow-kill method" in dogs that are light HW positive. This involves a couple weeks of doxycycline, then ivermectin. Doxycycline helps kill the heartworms, or keeps them from reproducing, or something. I have a dog here being treated in that way.

The HW preventative that was dangerous to give to HW positive dogs was diethylcarbamazine, or DEC. That was given DAILY back in the 60s and 70s, before the newer drugs came on the scene. The belief persists, though, that HW-positive dogs can't take ANY of these meds, including ivermectin.

• bruglover
    11 years ago

PS - There is a HW blood test that works for dogs being treated with ivermectin. Usually costs a bit more than the other test. Tell the vet the dog's being dosed with ivermectin so you get the correct test.

• currentwave
    11 years ago

My registered boarder collie has mange, and a friend gave me a bottle of Ivermectin 1%. So from what I've read here I should give my 60 lb dog about one drop from a dropper? All these cc, ml, mcg, etc. the syringe is huge for this job, and I really don't want to over dose a BC.

My questions are: (1) should I dilute the 1% with water/oil, and if so by how much? Or just use one drop or two straight from the bottle on some peanut butter? Or is there any other treatment for mange on boarder collies?

Thank you

• Jemac
    10 years ago

I have some (Durvet NDC 30798-927-13) Ivermectin (pour on for cattle) which is 5 mg per ml. ( I think that might come out to be 1/2% per ml (.5%) but I donât know for sure). What I have isnât the injection type, but the pour on for cattle.

Probably a dumb question: Can you do one of three types of applications of Ivermectin?
    Orally, OR, on the back of the dog, OR, in the dog's ear (as you can do with cats)?

Does anyone know if the 5mg per ml is 1/2% per ML (.5%)

Thanks in advance

• ceasar_gibbs
    10 years ago

Im not sure about the pour on for cattle ...

As for the person with the border collie i would have the dog checked for ivermectin intolerance before giving it ivermectin....

What i buy is .05% ivermectin a company called jr enterprises who has already diluted it down for dogs and cats and he gives you the dosages for dogs and cats based on their body weight too ... I have been using it for several years now as has my dad....jr enterprises has a web site and it costs $25 for a bottle that will last 5 , 35 pound dogs 2 years so very inexpensive ... I buy t this way now instead of buying the ivomec 1% solution and having to figure out the dose ... Because even with very small dogs he has given you a. Dosage .....also it is oral ...

• Pyewacket
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm the OP and at no time did I say that 200 times the recommended dosage was safe - just that some people seem to get by with it but that I don't recommend it.

Also, let me reiterate - DO NOT GIVE IVOMEC, or horse paste, or any product other than STRAIGHT ivermectin 1% (liquid cattle wormer) or 0.27% (liquid swine wormer).

If there is ANY ingredient listed on the label other than ivermectin and maybe water, any other chemicals whatsoever, it is NOT SAFE for dogs. I don't care what Uncle-Billy-Joe-Bob recommended between aiming at the spitoon. NO other type of wormer is safe to give a dog for heartworm except some solution (1%, 0.27%, diluted down according to the directions I had previously published) of straight ivermectin.

I reiterate: NO PASTES. NO IVOMEC. It is NOT the same stuff.

Even when being properly administered as a heartworm preventative, it ONLY treats heartworm; it does not treat any other parasites no matter how much you pump up the dosage. If your dog has roundworms, or hookworms, or any other worms, you need the appropriate treatment for that which is NOT ivermectin at any dosage.

The much higher dosages used for demodectic or sarcoptic manges are administered orally or (often) by injection, daily, for a month. That's a LOT more cumulative medication than the much smaller dosages recommended once monthly for heartworm prevention. The dosage for mange is at least 50 times the recommended dosage for heartworm prevention, and is given 30 times more frequently.

And I quote:

"Some individual dogs are sensitive to ivermectin and can die if subjected to a typical therapeutic dose for demodicosis."

From
    http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_demodectic_mange.html

So DO NOT think that just because much higher dosages are sometimes recommended for mange that also means it's ok to grossly overdose your dog when giving the same stuff for heartworm control. That isn't true.

Regarding propylene glycol as a diluting agent - this is routinely used to cut oil-based meds. You can't dilute ivermectin with water - it is oil based. Perhaps there are other oil-based carriers out there that would work equally as well as the propylene glycol, but I don't know of any for sure as the PG is what I've always been told to use.

Also, ivermectin has an extremely bitter taste. Another reason propylene glycol is used to dilute it for canine heart worm prevention is to make it more tolerable to the dog, tastewise.

Note that this is NOT ETHYLENE GLYCOL, which is a common form of radiator fluid and is deadly to dogs. Propylene glycol is also sometimes used as a coolant, but they are in no otherwise the same thing.

Ethylene glycol - deadly to dogs, but doubly dangerous because they like the taste.

Propylene glycol - safe as houses, and a good carrier for oil-based medications both because it properly disperses the active ingredient equally throughout the liquid, but also because they like the taste.

DO NOT get radiator fluid that has propylene glycol in it because there will be other stuff in there as well that is NOT harmless.

You need food grade pure propylene glycol. It is a common additive to white wines as a flavor enhancer, as well as a common farm item for mixing icky tasting medications with for dosing cattle and horses.

I used to get mine from a friend who ran cattle, he bought it by the gallon and the little bit I needed was never missed.

I'm sure there is some other carrier that would also be appropriate but I don't know what that might be. I would need to consult a chemist or research pharmaceutical guy to figure it out. I know FOR A FACT that the ivermectin will properly disperse throughout the propylene glycol so that your doggie is getting the same dose of the active ingredient (ivermectin) every single time you measure the same dose out. It WILL NOT disperse in water, it will bead up on it, like salad oil and vinegar. Shaking it will not fix that. Mixing it with something like vegetable oil probably won't have the same dispersion properties as the propylene glycol. Unless and until someone can get the straight skinny from an actual scientist, it isn't safe to try any carrier other than the propylene glycol when diluting the liquid ivermectin. You need a carrier that has the proper mixing properties and the only one we know of for sure is the PG.

Propylene glycol:

"Propylene glycol is an approved food additive for dog food under the category of animal feed and is generally recognized as safe for dogs,[31] with an LD50 of 9 mL/kg. The LD50 is higher for most laboratory animals (20 mL/kg).[32]

Similarly, propylene glycol is an approved food additive for human food as well.[33] The exception is that it is prohibited for use in food for cats due to links to Heinz body anemia.[34]"

From

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propylene_glycol

Propylene glycol - safe additive for

Dogs = yes
    Humans = yes
    cattle = yes
    horses = yes
    swine = yes
    sheep = yes
    cats = NO

As for collies or any other dog at risk for the bad reaction, don't even think of giving ivermectin to such a dog without checking with a vet. However if they are already safely taking the "usual" heartworm pills based on ivermectin (Heartguard, not the di-carbo-whatever that other stuff is) then it's safe to dose them with the liquid stuff, but ONLY IF PROPERLY DILUTED DOWN and administered properly for the body weight of the dog. A dog that can tolerate the normal dose for heartworm could still be sensitive to higher levels.

As for asking your vet about the proper dosage - sadly, you are unlikely to get accurate information from either a country vet who isn't against using the liquid ivermectin, or from a city vet who makes probably about half his/her monthly income from the sale of the very very expensive heart worm preventatives marketed specifically to dog owners.

In the case of the country doc, he knows full well that most people are so intimidated by a little math that they are unlikely to be willing to properly follow the directions for diluting and administering individually calculated dosages to their (probably) multiple dogs by weight; so he gives a one-size-fits-all solution that way overdoses the dog, but probably not actually dangerously so, but that is at least easy to follow and won't result in UNDERdosing and exposing the dog to infection. You PROBABLY aren't hurting the dog doing that - by it's a waste of product and more risk than I was ever willing to take with any of my dogs. YMMV.

In the case of the city doc - well, he/she knows which side of the bread the butter is on. 'nuff said.

OK, that's a little unfair. It is also the case that many vets, wherever they practice and regardless of whether they are mainly large or small animal vets, just plain don't trust the vast majority of civilians to make the correct measurements. So in the one case they tend to err on the side of overkill (regarding dosage), and on the other they just won't give you the opportunity at all. For some vets there are still economic issues, but for many more there are also issues of trusting the client. They don't (trust most folks to be able to follow directions), so they won't (discuss a cheaper alternative to Heartguard that requires a little thought and care on the part of the consumer/client).

Regarding sarcoptic mange - this should be guided by a vet. Sarcoptic mange requires much higher doses to treat for mange than when using ivermectin as heartworm preventative. A dog can have a very bad reaction to such high doses, even a dog that doesn't have the genetic susceptibility to the stuff. This is also why it is risky to go ahead and dose a dog at 200x the normal heartworm dosage.

If you're already doing that and your dog hasn't died yet, you're probably safe. But even if your dog has been taking the Heartguard and getting the much smaller recommended dosage, if you suddenly switch to giving them 200x because you don't want to dilute the ivermectin down to the usual dosage, if they're one of the sensitive types, it could kill them.

Also ivermectin can react with other medications. This isn't a big deal when they're getting a very small dose once a month as a heartworm preventative, but if you're giving undiluted ivermectin at hundreds of times the required dose, or if you're treating the dog for mange at 50x or more the usual heart worm dose every day for a month, your dog could have a bad, potentially fatal reaction.

So don't try to treat for mange with ivermectin yourself. I had a dog who was diagnosed as having demodectic mange and was put on high doses of daily ivermectin and it made her sick. This was done by a vet and it was a bad idea - for one thing, it turned out she didn't even HAVE demodectic mange when I took her to another vet who actually tested her skin and found no mite infestation. Her hair was falling out for some other reason and she was just naturally black-skinned. I don't remember what the black skin had to do with it really - this was over 25 years ago now - but the first vet thought it was some further indication that she had demodectic mange so he thought he didn't need to do a skin test. It wasn't mange at all, so it was a risky treatment for something she didn't even have.

However simple heartworm preventive treatment using ONLY the smallest recommended effective dosage is safe and easy (for non-herding dogs or dogs with no collie blood or dogs who have been tested and don't have the gene that makes them susceptible to the ivermectin) as long as you stick within the established guidelines, which are clearly stated in the OP.

Overdosing your dog at 200x the necessary dose PROBABLY won't kill your dog (PROBABLY) but I really don't understand why people insist on following those types of regimes when it certainly isn't necessary. Higher doses are NOT guaranteed safe, even when following vet-recommended dosages, as happened to my dog who never had any problem with the usual heartworm dose.

Sadly for some unfathomable reason it appears that an awful lot of the numbers for the calculations for how to dilute ivermectin safely to the smallest safe and effective dosage are appearing as weird little trapezoidal icons with a question mark in the middle. I'll have to do the math from scratch to try to fix that so they're readable again.

My health isn't what it used to be which severely impacts my ability to concentrate so you'll have to bear with me - if those numbers are no longer readable by people other than just myself, it will take some time for me to have the energy to sit down and do the calculations all over again and then check and double check to make sure I don't introduce an error. I can't figure out what happened to garble the post, but whatever. Also, we're in the process of moving halfway across the country here soon so it may be a month or two before things are settled enough for me to sit down and do this. So please bear with me - I'll try to fix the post as soon as I can.

• patiencefirst
    10 years ago

how often do you dose Ivermecting for dogs --- 1/cc per 10 pounds. - once a month or once every three months?

• pistolpete76
    10 years ago

I did 1ml / 1/4cup= .0169 Ivo/propylene glycol ratio for a 80lb dog, is this to weak?

• funkymonkeybaby9
    10 years ago

Can u use powder Polyethylene Glycol 3350 ?

• funkymonkeybaby9
    10 years ago

Can u use powder Polyethylene Glycol 3350 ?

• gregg2463
    9 years ago

For what I'm reading here,seem's you are going on more about pointing out what everybody is doing wrong,throwing out a bunch of equasions and generally confusing everybody. Seem's to me you are more concerned about pointing out you know more than the rest of us then to just give out that proper dose per weight of Invermectin and be done with it. which is all most of us are looking for.

• Pyewacket
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Really Gregg, without the equations you should not even try this. If you can't do the calculations, don't try to dose your dogs on your own. Find someone who will help you with the math. Otherwise, go to the vet and buy the stuff premade. It costs a bundle more, but better safe than sorry.

Your attitude - that doing the math is a waste of time and useless posturing by eggheads trying to show off - is exactly what gives vets the excuse that this is too dangerous for people to do by themselves. IT IS too dangerous if you won't follow the math.

You can't give the proper dosage without using the equations. That's what they are there for. You have to use the equation to determine the proper dosage. Yes, they ARE somewhat complicated. There is no way to get away from that. If you are unwilling to do the math, do NOT do this.

However, I DID give a range for easy application using the 0.27% swine ivermectin which requires absolutely no mixing or thought:

So if you wanted to skip any mixing at all, you could give 0.27% (NOT 1%) ivomec as follows:

20 lbs - 100 lbs - give 1/10 cc (delivers 270 mcg of ivermectin)
    100 lbs - 200 lbs - give 2/10 cc (delivers 540 mcg of ivermectin)

If you don't want to follow even that, then do yourself and your dogs a favor and just do what the vet tells you. And the vet will tell you to buy the tablets.

I'm not up to doing that (figuring dosages) for people any more as my health just isn't very good. I do have the original posting on an old laptop and will try to get it off there so I can repost the instructions, without the weird little triangles. That seems to have been introduced at some time over the past umpty years since the original posting went up. And apparently though you can edit new postings, you can't edit the old ones, because there is no "edit" option showing for that.

• Pyewacket
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ha! This should make folks even happier. There is a source of ivermectin @ 0.08% - about one third the strength of the swine ivermectin. It is Ivomec Sheep Drench (0.08% ivermectin).

REMINDER: 1 cc = 1 ml

The units are exactly the same.

Ivomec is a brand name of ivermectin - it is the Ivomec PLUS that has the other stuff in it and should always be avoided. Any product that contains any active ingredient other than ivermectin should never be used on a dog.

But here is the problem - it is only available as far as I can tell in large quantities and it is stupid expensive - $75 for a liter (about a quart). This is why I didn't mention it in my original posting.

Today I did, however, find it on Amazon in a generic for about $30 for an 8 oz bottle - which is still probably way more than you can use before it expires. If you hunt around, you may be able to find it more affordably - but even at $30 for an 8 oz bottle, it is way cheaper than the Heartguard tablets.

Store it in the fridge.

Remember that the normal dosage for a dog is 1.5mcg to 3 mcg per pound of body weight. The author of this page states that due to some recent research he is recommending 7 mcg per pound in body weight.

I'm not aware of that research, but it's basically about 2 to 4 times the suggested dose, which is, if the dosages given were correctly figured, still within the safe range. I have no idea where the idea that 7 mcg per pound of body weight should be used comes from, he just says "research at Auburn". I don't know what sort of research. I don't know when that research was done or if it has been repeated or debunked. However his table does not actually follow this 7 mcg/lb of body weight recommendation.

He suggests

0.1 ml for dogs up to 12 lbs (80 mcg total delivered) 13.3 mcg/lb
    0.2 ml for dogs from 12-26 pounds (160 mcg total) 8.4 mcg/lb
    0.3 ml for dogs from 27-50 pounds (240 mcg total) 6.3 mcg/lb
    0.4 ml for dogs from 51-70 pounds (320 mcg total) 5.3 mcg/lb
    0.5 ml for dogs from 71-90 pounds (400 mcg total) 5 mcg/lb
    0.6 ml for dogs from 92-112 pounds (480 mcg total) 4.7 mcg/lb

*NOTE* mcg/lb are figured at the middle of each range. They will be higher below the midpoint, and lower above the midpoint.

As you can see, this is not a constant dosage by weight. It is most variable at the lowest 2 ranges.

A dog that weighs 4 lbs which is given 0.1cc of this ivermectin sheep drench will receive a dosage at the rate of 20 mcg/pound, while a 12 lb dog would receive a dosage at the rate of 6.7 mcg/pound.

For the smaller dog, that is 7 to 14 times the recommended dosage; while for the larger dog, it is only about 2 to 4 times the recommended dosage.

The math for his table seems to be off, but except for the smallest dogs, within the safe range. If the 7 mcg per pound of body weight recommendation has some utility, then the dosages for larger dogs would be insufficient - but within range for the usual recommended dosages. Use your judgment as to whether or not these dosages are within the safe and effective range for your dog.

One thing he mentions that I never thought of is to drip the medication onto a doggy biscuit and give that to your dog. That's not a bad idea. I never thought of that. My dogs never gave me a problem squirting this into their mouth, but dripping it onto a small piece of dog biscuit and giving them that is probably easier.

To determine dosage for your dog, use the following values:

There are 800 mcg of ivermectin per 1 cc of the ivermectin sheep drip 0.08%

1.5 to 3 mcg per pound of body weight is the usual recommended dosage

Multiply the dosage per pound of body weight by the weight of your dog. That is how many micrograms are required to dose your dog.

Divide that by 800 to get the dosage in cc's.

Round up to the nearest tenth of a cc. That is the dosage.

My suggestion is to just use 3 mcg/lb and always round up (so 0.12 would be rounded up to 0.2) and you'll be good to go.

• loribuckshot
    7 years ago

I am a breeder of teacup dogs for about 25 years. I have always used ivomec 0.27 % for feeder swine. 1/10th of a cc for every 2lbs of dog weight. I have read through this feed several times I haven't found the answer that I'm looking for.

i initially used this as a heart worm preventative. Before long I realized that it also worked to keep fleas away as well as tics and it is a wormer too.

They do not make the 0.27% solution anymore. I have purchased the 1% solution for cows. Along with the propylene glycol.

I would like to mix the 1% with the propylene glycol so that I end up with the 0.27% solution that I have always used and been able to administer with a sub Q injection. I have had wonderful results with the 0.27% solution. I would just like to continue at that strength and dosage. Does anyone know what the ratio of 1% ivomec to propylene glycol would be to obtain a 0.27% ivomec that I could continue to administer to my teacup dogs at 1/10th of a cc for every 2lbs of dog weight. As my dogs range from 2lbs to 6lbs so I'm very nervous to change as I've never had a problem at this dosage.

Thanks for any help.

• sparklesdastylist
    6 years ago

Loribuckshot did you ever receive a response abou the dosing amount? I also have small dogs, all under 5lbs and am having trouble with the calculations of the 1% ivermec versus the 0.27% would love to get some feed back from other small dog owners.

• Nikki Pileggi
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Awful people don't a senijor little Shih Tzu dad is almost blind and I've taken her in she's approximately 14 lb. she went to the vet so we could better caught up on whatever she was behind which we don't know and we find out she was heartworm positive. The vet I went to believes completely in Western medicine. I prefer natural and less I have no other choice. so I wouldn't to start her on the Ivermectin. but since I happen to have many blonde moments, I I am unsure whether I am supposed to get the .08 or the 1%. I was wondering if someone could give me the correct answer and how much for her weight she should be getting and how many times a day or week I don't know. So any help would be great. we already have her on the doxycycline. so I just really am interested in knowing the correct protocol from here on out. is anyone can answer this for me I would so appreciate it thanks y'all

her name is Ewok first picture when I first got her second picture of her grooming. she is a beautiful sweet loving little girl. so I would like a couple of thoughts opinions Suggestions so I know which direction to go in. Any and all comments would be very much appreciated.

• Pyewacket
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I don't mix my own any more. You can get it premixed from these guys:

http://www.heartwormprevention.com/

And Nikki, I hate to tell you this, but this is NOT "natural medicine". It is entirely and 100% a result of "Western Medicine" and if it weren't I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. TREATMENT of heartworm is a lot different from prevention. Ivermectin doesn't do a thing to kill adult heartworm. You need to let your vet treat your dog if you want her to live.

ALSO let me remind folks - DO NOT start this (prevention) without first having your dog tested for heartworm. Once you start the prevention the test for heartworm won't work any more. TEST FIRST. TREAT by vet if positive. ONLY THEN should you start working on prevention.

• Sandra Smith
    last year

Pyewacket: I am just now learning this only due to the passing of my 15yr old black mouth curr and getting a new puppy that is a border collie mix. Are you still doing business with heartwormprevention.com? I left them a vmail and hope they will return my call. I have MS with lesions all over my brain and the constant reading and trying to figure out my own calculations has it ready to explode :( I did the old way .10 per 10 pounds every since I can remember. Not to mention learning of this MDR1 mutation I will be getting the new puppy tested for but from everything I'm reading, even if he has it, the low doses of Ivermectin is suppose to be safe. Thank you for the info you posted but if I can get it premixed easier from heart worm prevention site, I think that may be the way to go. Hopefully I can return the bottle of 1% I just bought from the feed store. I've also read where people mix the 1% with Vegetable Glycerin. I vape, so I have a little of both VG and PG (but don't mix my own of that any more either) Getting old learning all this new stuff sux, lol and to think I may've been causing my old dogs health issues from it really makes me sad. My old 100pd lab had horrible skin allergies that nothing worked for but steroids and my 85pd black mouth curr kept getting fatty tumors every where, one actually bursted. I know there is no certainy of the Ivermectin being the culprit but it does make me wonder. I'm also tending to the military's daughters 7 yr old beagle that has a mild case of some kind of skin condition, it's not bothering him and no comparison to the lab, maybe the new lower levels will make a difference

• HU-737423299
    last year

There has been discussion on using Ivomec for heartworm treatment, but my vet and I have used Tetracycline given twice a day for a month to treat mild infections. Way cheaper and safer in my book. Have used this effectively on a few different dogs. Tetracycline used to be easy to get without a vet Rx, but not any longer. Certainly worth asking your vet about if the need arises people.

Sponsored
BME Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structure